Math Major Looking to Transfer to a More Relaxed School

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate math major who is seeking help to create a list of potential schools to transfer to. They are not highly motivated academically and are unsure of their future plans. They attended Harvey Mudd for one year but had a rough sophomore year and are now looking for a better fit. They are looking for a school with a strong math program, a relaxed atmosphere, and a location with access to nature. They are open to suggestions and are also consulting a college counselor and past teachers for advice. Some potential schools mentioned include Reed College, Cornell, Dartmouth, and UMass Dartmouth.
n+1
Short and sweet
I am an undergraduate math major attempting to transfer. I am looking for help composing a list of schools to visit.

Some Information about Myself
I'm not a terribly academically driven guy. While I've come across some success academically, it's mostly been the result of sincere interest as well as some easy courses. As such, I'm not sure what I want to do after or even during the summers of my undergraduate education. The idea is that I've studied the math that I have because I find the material intriguing and the process of learning it enjoyable and even exciting (as anyone who's ever seen me running and jumping around while I was reading a math textbook can attest to), but that I am skeptical that my relationship with studying mathematics is one that will persist at higher levels. Really what I'm trying to do in this section is separate myself from those students whose eyes are 100% on grad school and PhDs.

Academic History
Out of high school, I attended Harvey Mudd, where I enjoyed an academically successful freshman year (including Harvey Mudd's "Summer Math" program), achieving a high GPA and "Dean's List." Sophomore year, however, consisted of a couple of false starts due to personal reasons, ultimately landing me out of school without any sophomore grades to my name. At home during the span of my would-be-sophomore year though, I did pass out of Harvey Mudd's Mathematical Analysis I course and completed the work for it's Abstract Algebra I course, studying in Rudin and Dummit & Foote, respectively. Harvey Mudd has expressed that they would welcome me back if I demonstrate sufficient investment, but for now, I've decided to embrace my current opportunity and look for a better fit.

What I'm Looking for in a School
As a math major, I'm obviously looking for a school with a strong math program. I'm also looking for a place with a relaxed atmosphere, where socializing outside of academics and parties is pervasive. Just generally, I'm not into partying and noise, so while I'm fine with it being an option, it would have to be avoidable. I'd also very much prefer a place more in the middle-of-nowhere -- some place that's not smoggy and where I could drive a short while to some nature trails. Finally, I think I'd also fair better at a larger school, where it's possible to achieve some anonymity. Of course, I've only ever attended one college, so all of these criteria are relative to Harvey Mudd. Furthermore, some of these criteria could be misguided, so don't feel like any school you recommend has to match all of them.

Concluding Remarks
Just to reiterate, I'm just trying to come up with a preliminary list. Ultimately, the biggest factor in where I go is going to be 'how the place feels' when I visit. I'd also like to note that, in addition to you guys, I'm consulting a college counselor as well as some of my past teachers whose opinion I especially value. The reason I'm coming here at all is that I find that many of you here at Physics Forums are particularly sane and discerning when it comes to matters of career and education and have a perspective that will be hard to come by elsewhere.

Thanks in advanced for all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
While not large, Reed College in Portland is supposed to have a good math program. Very demanding too, I hear. I am near certain that other than Mudd, it may well be the only liberal arts college that has a proof based calculus course before the sophomore year. And that's assuming you haven't tested out of 1st semester calc. But of course, you will not be doing this course.

I hear that it's practically next to a canyon. But I get the impression that there are lots of hipsters around Portland, though I hear that they also make very good beers there. And they are also home to some Agalloch members (a very good band, whose name is derived from some kind of wood), I believe.

There is also Cornell, in Ithaca. I doubt it needs a description.

If you were able to get into Harvey Mudd, I doubt either of those schools would be out of your reach, but you might have quite a bit of work to overcome that involuntary gap year. I hope your college counselor is not one of those charlatans.

Dartmouth is also in the middle of nowhere. There's also UMass Dartmouth, but I don't know about their math department.

1. What is a math major?

A math major is a student who is pursuing a major or degree in mathematics. This can include topics such as algebra, calculus, statistics, and geometry.

2. Why would a math major want to transfer to a more relaxed school?

Many math majors may feel overwhelmed or burnt out from the rigorous coursework and high expectations at their current school. Transferring to a more relaxed school can offer a better work-life balance and reduce stress levels.

3. What are some key factors to consider when looking for a more relaxed school as a math major?

Some key factors to consider include the school's curriculum and class structure, the availability of resources and support for math majors, the overall campus culture and atmosphere, and the location and cost of the school.

4. Will transferring to a more relaxed school affect my career prospects as a math major?

No, transferring to a more relaxed school will not affect your career prospects as a math major. Employers are more interested in the skills and knowledge you possess rather than the specific school you attended.

5. Are there any specific schools or programs that are known for being more relaxed for math majors?

Yes, there are several schools and programs that are known for having a more relaxed atmosphere for math majors. Some examples include Hampshire College, Evergreen State College, and the University of California, Santa Cruz.