Mathematica 3D plotting question

In summary, the conversation is about creating a 3D graph with a scatter plot and a plane using data from an excel file. The process involves saving the data as a csv file and using the Get function to import it into Mathematica. The plane is created using the Graphics3D function, and the code for adding opacity to the plot is also discussed.
Wesleytf
I'd like to make a single 3D graph that contains a scatter plot and a plane. Ideally I'd like to import the data for the point from an excel file, but if I have to punch it in, I can find a few hours to kill. Anyway, can anyone help me with the code for this? I can get a 3D scatter plot where I'm just typing in the coordinates of each point, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
To emulate getting some data from excel, here's some random data - saved as a csv file:

In[1]:= data=RandomReal[{0,1},{50,3}];
In[2]:= Save[ToFileName[NotebookDirectory[], "data.csv"],data]

All you need to do is save your table of data as a csv file from excel. Probably using save as or maybe export. The load it into mma using, eg

In[3]:= Get[ToFileName[NotebookDirectory[], "data.csv"]];

Here's a plane...

In[4]:= plane=Graphics3D[{Opacity[.5],Polygon[{{0,0,.4},{0,1,.4},{1,1,.4},{1,0,.4}}]}];

Here's a scatter plot + plane:

In[5]:= Show[ListPointPlot3D[data, PlotStyle->Red], plane]

Thanks for the help-- I wound up using this for the plane:

plane = Plot3D[{1.295*x + .6415*y + 16.09}, {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3} ]

I'd like to make add in Opacity[.5], but I'm not sure where to put it in and the Plot3D help file doesn't show it as an option (at least that I can find). Any advice?

Nevermind, I found it!

PlotStyle -> Directive[Opacity[0.5]]

There are a few different ways to approach this problem in Mathematica. One option is to use the "ListPlot3D" function to create a 3D scatter plot and the "Graphics3D" function to add a plane to the plot. Here is an example code:

1. Import the data from the excel file using the "Import" function.

2. Use the "ListPlot3D" function to create a 3D scatter plot of the data points.

3. Use the "Graphics3D" function to add a plane to the plot. You can specify the coordinates of the plane or use the "InfinitePlane" function to automatically generate a plane that fits the data points.

4. Use the "Show" function to combine the scatter plot and the plane into a single 3D graph.

Here is an example code that combines these steps:

data = Import["data.xlsx"]; (*import data from excel file*)

scatterplot = ListPlot3D[data]; (*create 3D scatter plot*)

plane = Graphics3D[{Opacity[0.5], (*make the plane semi-transparent*)
InfinitePlane[data] (*generate a plane that fits the data points*)}];

Show[scatterplot, plane] (*combine the scatter plot and plane*)

You can adjust the appearance of the graph by using different options for the "ListPlot3D" and "Graphics3D" functions. Additionally, you can use the "Manipulate" function to interactively adjust the appearance of the graph.

I hope this helps you create the 3D graph you are looking for. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

1. How do I plot a 3D graph in Mathematica?

To plot a 3D graph in Mathematica, use the Plot3D function. This function takes in an equation or a list of equations and plots them in a 3D coordinate system.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my 3D plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your 3D plot by using various options such as changing the color, adding labels, adjusting the lighting, and more. These options can be specified within the Plot3D function or by using the Graphics3D function.

3. How do I add multiple plots to the same 3D graph in Mathematica?

To add multiple plots to the same 3D graph in Mathematica, use the Show function. This function allows you to combine multiple plots into one graph by using the Show command and specifying the plots you want to include.

4. Can I export my 3D plot in Mathematica to an image file?

Yes, you can export your 3D plot in Mathematica to an image file by using the Export function. This function allows you to save your plot as a PNG, JPEG, or other image file format.

5. How can I rotate and manipulate my 3D plot in Mathematica?

To rotate and manipulate your 3D plot in Mathematica, use the Manipulate function. This function allows you to change the parameters of your plot and see the results in real-time by using sliders or other interactive controls.