Mathematica: Graph for a single vector instead of vector field?

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing vectors on a coordinate grid or vector field for forces between two point particles. The possibility of using the VectorPlot function is mentioned, but it results in an error when only raw values are inserted. The use of arrows is suggested as an alternative method, either by manually creating them or converting from polar to cartesian coordinates. An example of using the AR function to create an arrow is also provided.
bentley4
Hi guys, I would like to construct 2 vectors on a coordinate grid.(or a vector field for only one t) of the forces between 2 point particles on a certain moment t. Can I do that?
When I try the VectorPlot function and insert all values instead of also inserting a variable it gives the error that it cannot exist out of only raw objects, that it cannot iterate.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I tried to do this once, its very difficult to get it here you want. Basically its better to just use arrows:

Graphics[{Arrow[{{0, 0}, {0, 1}}], Arrow[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}}],
Arrow[{{0, 0}, {0, -1}}], Arrow[{{0, 0}, {-1, 0}}]}]

you could also just convert polar to cartesian to get it in terms of magnitude and angle if you needed.EDIT:
such as

AR[point_, mag_, \[Theta]_] = Arrow[{point, {mag Cos[\[Theta]], mag Sin[\[Theta]]}}]
Graphics[AR[{0, 0}, 1, 3 \[Pi]/2]]

1. What is Mathematica: Graph for a single vector instead of vector field?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program used by scientists and mathematicians to perform various mathematical calculations and create visualizations. The "Graph for a single vector instead of vector field" feature allows users to create graphs and plots specifically for a single vector, rather than a vector field which contains multiple vectors.

2. How do I use this feature in Mathematica?

To use the "Graph for a single vector instead of vector field" feature in Mathematica, you will need to have a vector defined in your code. Then, you can use the VectorPlot function and specify the vector you want to graph as the first argument. This will create a graph specifically for that single vector.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the graph for a single vector?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the graph for a single vector by using various options within the VectorPlot function. For example, you can change the color, size, and style of the vector arrows, as well as the overall layout and labeling of the graph.

4. Are there any limitations to using this feature in Mathematica?

One limitation of using the "Graph for a single vector instead of vector field" feature in Mathematica is that it only works for two-dimensional vectors. It also does not take into account any potential interactions between multiple vectors, as it is only graphing a single vector at a time.

5. Can I save and export the graph for a single vector in Mathematica?

Yes, you can save and export the graph for a single vector in Mathematica just like any other graph or plot. You can save it as an image file or export it as a vector graphic for use in other programs or documents.