Mathematica - Manipulate slider - fine adjusting with [ALT] key

In summary, you can fine-tune a "Manipulate" slider by holding down the ALT key while dragging the handle, but it may cause the slider to jump to the left end. This makes it difficult to fine-tune in the right half of the slider. This appears to be a bug in the Wolfram Cloud version and should be reported to Wolfram.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
I want to use the ALT key to slow down the effect of the slider in a "Manipulate" output. Unfortunately, pressing ALT sends the slider to the left end. So it's impossible to fine-tune around the right part of the slider.
It says here ...

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/IntroductionToManipulate.html#498667553
[section : Initial Values and Labels]

...that you can fine-tune a "Manipulate" slider by holding down the ALT key while you drag the handle. This is indeed the case, but unfortunately, the ALT key causes the slider to jump immediately to the left end of the slider. Then, if I move the mouse all the way across the screen, I can just get it to cover half the slider's length in this fine mode.

This means that I can't do fine-tuning in the right half of the slider. I have tried setting the default value of the slider variable to a larger initial value. But even in that case, the "home" position of the slider in "slow" mode is always the left end.

Is there a way to fix this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your OS? On my Mac, it works fine (meaning that pressing ALT doesn't move the slider).

I'm using the cloud version at wolframcloud.com

Swamp Thing said:
I'm using the cloud version at wolframcloud.com
I have the same problem as you, so it appears to be a bug in the Wolfram Cloud. You'll have to contact Wolfram and make a bug report.

OK, thanks.

1. How do I use the [ALT] key to fine-tune Manipulate sliders in Mathematica?

To use the [ALT] key for fine adjustment of Manipulate sliders, simply hold down the [ALT] key while dragging the slider with your mouse. This will allow you to make smaller, more precise adjustments to the slider value.

2. Can I change the step size for the [ALT] key fine-tuning in Mathematica?

Yes, you can change the step size for [ALT] key fine-tuning by adding the option SliderIncrements -> {a, b, c} to your Manipulate function, where a is the step size for the first slider, b is the step size for the second slider, and c is the step size for the third slider.

3. Is it possible to use the [ALT] key for fine-tuning multiple sliders at once in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the [ALT] key to fine-tune multiple sliders at once by holding down the [ALT] key while clicking and dragging on multiple sliders. This will allow you to make small adjustments to the values of all the selected sliders simultaneously.

4. How do I reset a slider to its default value in Mathematica?

To reset a slider to its default value, simply click on the slider and press the CTRL key. This will revert the slider to its original value as defined in the Manipulate function.

5. Can I change the appearance of the slider in Mathematica's Manipulate function?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the slider in Manipulate by adding the option Appearance -> "Labeled" or Appearance -> "Vertical" to your Manipulate function. This will change the style of the slider to a labeled or vertical format, respectively.