1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica PlotStyle->{color,color,color} not working

1. May 10, 2011 #1
    Hi All, running into a bit of a mathematica issue. I put the following code in to plot:
    Code (Text):

Plot[Im[correlationList], {t, 0, timeEnd},
      PlotStyle -> ColorList]
    correlationList is a list of complex functions that have been evaluated at t. It correctly plots all of them (if I change it to correlationList[[2]] for example it only plots the second function, etc., as is it plots all of the functions on the same plot)

(I've omitted PlotRange -> {Full, {-1, 1}}, ImageSize -> Large, from the above command, but that's in there too)

ColorList is a list of Hue[] evaluations, i.e.
    Code (Text):
    In:ColorList
    Out: {Hue[1/10],Hue[1/5],Hue[3/10],Hue[2/5],Hue[1/2],Hue[3/5],Hue[7/10],Hue[4/5],Hue[9/10],Hue[1]}
    When I plot this however, it colors *all* of the curves the *last* color in the color list.

This behavior holds even when I change the PlotStyle term, for example if I use {Orange,Blue,Green} instead of ColorList, it plots *all* of the functions green, none orange or blue. So it always takes the last member of the list. I'm not sure why it's doing this.

I tried transposing ColorList (which I generate from an Array[0&,10] command, then filled in with a Do[] loop), but that just gave error messages.

Thanks for any help,

rynlee

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm thinking that you might need to Plot[{Im[correlationList[[1]]], ..., Im[correlationList[[n]]]}] rather than
    Plot[Im[{correlationList[[1]], ..., correlationList[[n]]} ], if you get what I mean.

So what happens if you plot Evaluate[Im[correlationList]] instead?
    Or first convert it to a list, e.g. plotting Im /@ correlationList?

4. May 10, 2011 #3
    yep the evaluate[] did it! Thanks!

5. May 10, 2011 #4
    The final function (just to show what it should look like if anyone else has the same problem):

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?