Mathematica: Simplifying a feedback system

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex feedback system in z domain and the desire to get an expression for the system output as a sum of the error input and the input. The solution involves using Solve[] and providing a list of equations and variables. Additional assumptions may need to be included for more accurate results.
divB
Hi,

I have given a complex feedback system in z domain like:

Y = 2*W2 + E
W2 = z^-1/(1-z^-1) * (W1 + (1-z^-1)*W2 - 1/2*(1-z^-1)*Y)
W1 = V - Y + z^-1/(1-z^-1) * 1/2 * (V - Y)

where Y is the system output, V is the system input, W1 and W2 are intermediate nodes and E is an error input

I and want to get an expression like

Y(z) = E(z)*(...) + X(z)*(...)

i.e., the system output as a sum of the error input and the input. Alternatively: signal transfer function and error transfer function.

Just defining the terms as above and using Solve[] or so is not really successful.

Anyone a hint how to do that?

Thanks
divB

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this get what you want?:

Code:
Solve[{Y == 2*W2 + e, W2 == z^(-1)/(1 - z^(-1))*(W1 + (1 - z^(-1))*W2 - 1/2*(1 - z^(-1))*Y),
   W1 == V - Y + z^(-1)/(1 - z^(-1))*1/2*(V - Y)}, {Y, W1, W2}];

Collect[Expand[%], e, Simplify]

Gives : (where I use little "e" as E, since E is the Exp[1] exponential.

[tex]
Y\to \frac{e (-1+z)^3}{z^3}+\frac{V (-1+2 z)}{z^2}
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Woow! Thanks a lot.
It doesn't match with my hand calculations :-( - buts that's the reason I wanted to check it.

So the key here is to supply Solve[] a list of the indendent set of equations and a list of all inter connected variables?

You need to supply it with N equations and solve for N independent variables. I don't know if i put in enough assumptions to let MM know if z was compelx or not, of it it just assumes it.

I would suggest using a mathematical software such as Mathematica to simplify the feedback system in z domain. Mathematica has a variety of built-in functions and tools that can help you simplify complex equations and solve for specific variables.

One approach you could take is to use the Simplify[] function to simplify each equation individually, and then use the Eliminate[] function to eliminate the intermediate variables W1 and W2. This would leave you with an expression for Y in terms of V and E.

Another approach could be to use the TransferFunctionModel[] function to create a transfer function model for the entire system, and then use the TransferFunctionSimplify[] function to simplify it further.

I would also recommend consulting the Mathematica documentation or reaching out to the Mathematica community for additional tips and techniques on simplifying feedback systems.

1. How does Mathematica simplify a feedback system?

Mathematica simplifies a feedback system by using advanced algorithms and built-in functions to manipulate and analyze equations and data. It can identify patterns and simplify complex expressions into more manageable forms.

2. Can Mathematica handle both linear and nonlinear feedback systems?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of handling both linear and nonlinear feedback systems. It has a wide range of tools and functions specifically designed for analyzing and solving both types of systems.

3. Is Mathematica able to handle multiple input and output variables in a feedback system?

Yes, Mathematica can handle multiple input and output variables in a feedback system. It has built-in functions such as TransferFunctionModel and StateSpaceModel that can handle systems with multiple inputs and outputs.

4. Can Mathematica simulate and visualize the behavior of a feedback system?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful simulation and visualization capabilities. It can simulate the behavior of a feedback system using its built-in functions and plot the results using various charts and graphs.

5. Is Mathematica suitable for beginners to use in simplifying feedback systems?

While Mathematica may have a steep learning curve for beginners, it has a user-friendly interface and comprehensive documentation that can help users learn how to simplify feedback systems. It also has a variety of resources such as tutorials, forums, and online communities that can assist beginners in using the software.