Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica: Solving Linear Complex Systems

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    Good evening,

I am currently trying to use Mathematica to find the symbolic solutions to a set of complex linear equations. I have never used Mathematica for such a task before and am finding it quite difficult. Let me state the problem:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}a^{*}a-b^{*}b&ac^{*}-bd^{*}\\a^{*}c-b^{*}d&c^{*}c-d^{*}d\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}-(\mu+2tcos(p))&2(\Re(\Delta)-i\Im(\Delta))sin(p)\\2(\Re(\Delta)+i\Im(\Delta))sin(p)&\mu+2tcos(p)\end{pmatrix}; \qquad \text{ where } \mu, \Re(\Delta), \Im(\Delta), t \text{ are real constants }; p\inℝ[/tex]

I am attempting to solve for the complex functions [tex]a(p), b(p), c(p), d(p)[/tex] Is this even possible or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2
    By inspection, assuming your j(delta) is not equal to zero, that sin(p) is equal to zero.

That substantially simplifies your task, but, like many things in Mathematica, at the moment it is resisting doing something that is simple to describe.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    This problem has been solved.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook