Mathematica truncates my curves

In summary, the speaker is using Mathematica to plot a function with an angular momentum part and is noticing truncated curves near the vertical asymptote at r = 0. They ask for a command to draw the curves closer to the left and then discover the command "ParametricPlot" to achieve this.
Barnak
I'm ploting a simple function (the effective gravitationnal potentiel with angular momentum part) with Mathematica, and I'm getting some truncated curves close to the vertical asymptote located at r = 0 (see the picture below). Of course, this is normal since the function V(r) diverges at r = 0, but why Mathematica is truncating the first two curves that much ? How can I tell it to draw the curves more closely to the left ?

I'm ploting the curves in the range r = 0 to r = 10, so I should get some better extended curves...

What Mathematica command should I add to get better curves ?

Attachments

• truncated.jpg
    truncated.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 433
Computer science news on Phys.org
Aaah ! I've found it ! Just use ParametricPlot instead of a simple Plot.

See the picture below :

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 448

1. Why does Mathematica truncate my curves?

Mathematica may truncate curves in order to make the plot fit within the specified plot range. This can happen when the curve extends beyond the specified range or when there is not enough data points to accurately represent the curve.

2. How can I prevent Mathematica from truncating my curves?

To prevent Mathematica from truncating curves, you can increase the plot range or add more data points to the curve. You can also use the PlotRange option to specify a specific range for the plot.

3. Can I adjust the amount of truncation in Mathematica?

Yes, you can adjust the amount of truncation in Mathematica by using the PlotRangePadding option. This option allows you to add padding to the plot range, which can help prevent curves from being truncated.

4. Will truncation affect the accuracy of my data?

In most cases, truncation will not significantly affect the accuracy of your data. However, if the truncation is significant, it may affect the overall shape of the curve. It is important to ensure that your plot range and data points accurately represent the underlying data.

5. Is there a way to see the full, untruncated curve in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the PlotRange option to specify a larger plot range or use the PlotRange -> All option to show the full, untruncated curve in Mathematica. You can also use the PlotPoints option to increase the number of data points plotted, which can help prevent truncation.