What institutions offer top programs in Mathematical Physics for PhD students?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking recommendations for institutions to pursue a PhD in Mathematical Physics. They mention their background in undergraduate studies and their interest in statistical mechanics and exactly solvable systems. The conversation includes suggestions for institutions such as Stony Brook in New York, University of York, ENS (Ulm), University of Utrecht, and ETH Zurich. The student expresses gratitude for the recommendations.
AronH
Hello!

I'm a undergraduate student in the last year of my Physics B.Sc. I've done a lot of Mathematics in a program at Ecole Polytechnique in France (Master 1 in Physics, european system). I would like to do my PhD in Mathematical Physics, I've studied some Statistical Mechanics and Exactly solvable systems, but I would like a program with others possibilites too. However I don't know which institutions are good.

If you have any recomendations I would be very glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Aron

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Aron, recently somethings I recently read about Stony Brook in New York made it sound like a good place for mathematical physics:

http://www.scgp.stonybrook.edu/

princeton

thanks a lot.

I've never been there but always thought the University of York seemed like a nice place to study mathematical physics: http://maths.york.ac.uk/www/Physics

Do you want to study in America or Europe?

Hi AronH,

Since you are at Ecole Polytechnique I reckon that you have a good level in mathematics. Wouldn't ENS (Ulm) be something for you then? I think they must have one of the strongest programs in Europe... Also, I know the University of Utrecht (that is in Holland) is very good in theoretical physics and they offer a MSc in Theoretical Physics.

ETH Zurich is also excellent.

I was considering study in America.
But the places you have suggested seem a good option too. I will take a good look at them.
Thank you!

1. What is the difference between mathematical physics and theoretical physics?

Mathematical physics focuses on using mathematical tools and techniques to study physical phenomena and develop theories, while theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories that explain the behavior of physical systems.

2. What kind of background is required for a PhD in mathematical physics?

A strong foundation in both mathematics and physics is essential for a PhD in mathematical physics. It is recommended to have completed undergraduate coursework in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and classical mechanics, as well as advanced courses in abstract algebra, real analysis, and quantum mechanics.

3. What research opportunities are available for mathematical physics PhD students?

There are a wide range of research opportunities for mathematical physics PhD students, including studying topics such as quantum field theory, general relativity, statistical mechanics, and mathematical modeling. Students may also have the opportunity to collaborate with other scientists in related fields, such as astrophysics or biophysics.

4. What career options are available for graduates with a PhD in mathematical physics?

Graduates with a PhD in mathematical physics have a variety of career options, including academia, research positions in government or industry, and consulting roles in fields such as finance or data science. They may also choose to pursue careers in education or science communication.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in mathematical physics?

The length of time to complete a PhD in mathematical physics can vary depending on the individual's research and progress, but it typically takes 4-6 years. This includes coursework, research, and defending a dissertation. Some programs may also offer the option for students to complete a combined master's and PhD program, which can take around 5-7 years to complete.