Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical prerequisites for Robotics/Mechatronics

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    Greetings to everyone! A friend of mine would like to study Mechatronics/Robotics, and he intends to applicate to various master programs in these fields. What are the mathematical prerequisites one needs to obtain in order to follow such courses with success?

He has graduated from an Automation Engineering department, but with almost total lack of mathematical knowledge, unfortunately. Thus, if possible, I'd prefer that you recommend the mathematical background one needs from the very beginning!

Thanx in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

It seems odd to me that someone who has graduated with any type of engineering degree would not have had some mathematical exposure already.

At any rate, the usuals are Calculus (3 semesters), Differential equations (1-2 semesters), Probability and Statistics (1 semester). They do vary depending on what your major is. You might look at some of the Mechatronics programs and see what is required for an example.

or here for more links...

Hope that helps.
  4. Dec 22, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

Well, I don't know if you helped him, StewartCS, but you sure helped me! I just finished my last day of classes to earn my Associate degree in mechatronics (didn't even need to go as far as precalculous, but I took it anyway). I've been looking around for schools that offer a Bachelor's, and they're pretty rare. I'm going to take at least one more semester at community college, just to get every transferable class taken on the cheap, but it looks like by the time I'm done with that, Southern Polly's new mechatronics program night be ready for people starting their 3rd year.

Anybody in here a mechatronics engineer?
  5. Dec 22, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

I would imagine, especially at the Masters level, that the standard engineering math courses would apply. The main reason being that I remember doing a lot of robotic arm calculations in dynamics classes. They can get quite complex in describing the motions especially with relative frames of references, etc...Thinking about that, I would also throw vector calculus into the mix if it is not implicitly covered in the others.
  6. Dec 22, 2007 #5
    What is mechtronics? Everyone always comes to these forums asking about 'mechtronics' this and 'mechtronics' that.

Its called controls. You get a degree in 'controls', from any good EE or ME department, and you take a LOT of math. Calc 1-3, Diff eq, linear algebra, partial diff eq, advanced calc, and more.
  7. Dec 22, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Or, you could do it the way I did: drop out of high-school with a grade 9 math education, build ****, and then try to figure out why it works. The trick to that though, is that it really does work.
  8. Dec 22, 2007 #7

Science Advisor

Other people have asked about this? Man, I can't seem to find anybody outside my little group of classmates that has any idea what it is! Where else ni the Forums is it being talked about?
  9. Dec 22, 2007 #8
    People post all the time asking how to get into 'robotics'/'mechtronics' on the academic advice subforum.

Its called DYNAMICS and CONTROLS .:grumpy:
  10. Dec 22, 2007 #9

Science Advisor

Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary area that is supposed to encompass more than just controls and dynamics. However, like anything else, I can't see how they can get as in depth in areas like controls when they have to cover so many areas. I had one prof for analysis that does research in controls systems that has a doctorate in applied math.
  11. Dec 23, 2007 #10
    Thank you all for your help, I'll tell my friend about these comments. Especially the links seem quite useful!
  12. Dec 24, 2007 #11
    Mechatronics Bachelors

California State University Chico in offers a bachelors in Mechatronic engineering. It has the basis of both electrical and mechanical engineering. Most students tend to polarize their upper division classes towards more mechanical or more electrical depending on their nature. For a "party" school, you sure don't get a lot of time to do much partying. It's a good degree, I've got one (minor in Math). The electrical side of the degree may have some weakness as some of the teachers are older. There is a *really* good class on robotics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?