BS Mathematics to Phd Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the speaker is a junior undergraduate student majoring in mathematics with a passion for quantum mechanics. They are considering pursuing a master's and PhD in the field, despite not having a physics background. They have experience in programming and artificial intelligence, as well as a strong interest in group theory, differential forms, and p-adic analysis. They are seeking advice on the feasibility of their goal and have received mixed opinions from their advisor and others. They are also aware of the subject GRE and recommendation letters as requirements for admission to graduate programs. The speaker has read a thread on the topic and feels it contains most of the information they need, but are also considering taking qualifying exams at their schools of interest to gauge their preparedness.
AlephOne
Dear friends,

I'm presently a junior math undergraduate, and my ultimate goal is to do my master's/PhD work in quantum mechanics, specifically exploring possibilities of temporal superposition for advanced quantum computing.

The question is if it is doable to go from a bachelors in mathematics to a master's and PhD in quantum mechanics. I've known a few people to do it before, but it seems that programs are getting more restrictive all the time. Unfortunately it is too late to change my major to physics without doing another year of undergrad, which I cannot afford to do.

I do well in mathematics, and I love it. It's also worth noting that other skills are in play: I've been a programmer specializing in artificial intelligence for quite some time. I've worked for robotics companies, defense contractors, and so on. Lots of life experience, just decided it was time to finish school and go for what I really wanted: quantum mechanics. I bring up these other skills because they could come into play for consideration in grad school.

In mathematics, I enjoy group theory, differential forms, and so on. I've studied things I wanted to study, purely for the love of the subject. Recently have been digging into p-adic analysis, exploring potential applications for finding the roots of chaotic systems.

So... al things said, is this feasible to do, given all the information mentioned? Or am I just kidding myself? I like to think that it's doable, but if it's not, things could get really tricky.

Note that my advisor thinks it's somewhat doable, but he's in pure mathematics and says his opinion doesn't extend to physics.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may offer. I sincerely appreciate it.

---AlephOne

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the "Can I get a Ph.D. in physics if my bachelor's degree isn't in physics" thread? If so, what specifically do you need to know that is not there?

What physics do you know? You have to do okay on the subject GRE and get recommendation letters.

I know most physics up to junior level or so, at least as it is at my university. Working on a research project right now having to do with matrix mechanics. Recommendation letters won't be a problem; I've got those coming out of my ears (somehow I got rather popular amongst the profs). By the time I graduate, I'll probably have pulled off a physics minor.

Vanadium 50: I just saw and read that thread. It contains most of the information I need.

The qualifying exams at my schools of interest should tell me how well prepared I am for it.

Thank you.

1. What is the difference between BS Mathematics and PhD Quantum Mechanics?

BS Mathematics is an undergraduate degree that focuses on mathematical theories and methods, while PhD Quantum Mechanics is a graduate degree that focuses on the principles and applications of quantum mechanics. BS Mathematics provides a strong foundation in mathematics, while PhD Quantum Mechanics builds upon that foundation and delves deeper into the study of quantum mechanics.

2. What career opportunities are available with a BS Mathematics to PhD Quantum Mechanics degree?

With a BS Mathematics to PhD Quantum Mechanics degree, you can pursue careers in research, academia, or industry. You can work as a theoretical physicist, quantum mechanic engineer, data scientist, or research scientist in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, or quantum chemistry.

3. What skills do I need to have to pursue a PhD in Quantum Mechanics?

To pursue a PhD in Quantum Mechanics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. Additionally, strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are crucial, as well as a passion for physics and the ability to work independently.

4. How long does it take to complete a BS Mathematics to PhD Quantum Mechanics program?

The length of time to complete a BS Mathematics to PhD Quantum Mechanics program can vary, but on average, it takes about 5-7 years. This includes completing a 4-year undergraduate degree in mathematics and a 2-3 year graduate program in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some research areas within Quantum Mechanics that I can explore with this degree?

Some research areas within Quantum Mechanics that you can explore with a BS Mathematics to PhD Quantum Mechanics degree include quantum information theory, quantum field theory, quantum optics, and quantum cosmology. You can also specialize in a specific field such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, or quantum materials.