Mathematical probability prerequisites

In summary, the conversation discusses the prerequisites for a mathematical probability course and whether it is worth taking without having real analysis as a prerequisite. The speaker mentions that most undergraduate probability courses do not require measure theory and it would still be beneficial to take the class, particularly for those interested in statistics.
cue928
For anyone who has taken mathematical probability, what prerequisite(s) did you have? At my school, Calc IV is the only prerequisite. I ask because we are notorious about not having prerequisites lined up properly so I don't want to waste my time with this class if I don't have the proper prerequisites.

In particular, is a mathematical probability course worth taking if it doesn't require real analysis? I've seen courses such as this one that require real analysis (Radon-Nikodym theorem, measure space, etc), so having not had those, is it worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:
For anyone who has taken mathematical probability, what prerequisite(s) did you have? At my school, Calc IV is the only prerequisite. I ask because we are notorious about not having prerequisites lined up properly so I don't want to waste my time with this class if I don't have the proper prerequisites.

In particular, is a mathematical probability course worth taking if it doesn't require real analysis? I've seen courses such as this one that require real analysis (Radon-Nikodym theorem, measure space, etc), so having not had those, is it worth it?

Can you list the topics of your probablity course?? I can probably guess the prereqs from those...

From what I've seen, most undergraduate level probability classes don't require measure theory. Most of the important theoretical results can be proven, but a few are glossed over. I certainly don't think it would be a waste of time to take the class, especially if you're interested in Statistics. Having a good background in probability is a huge help in any statistics class.

Related to Mathematical probability prerequisites

1. What is mathematical probability?

Mathematical probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement and analysis of uncertainty and random events. It involves using mathematical tools and concepts to quantify the likelihood of a certain event occurring.

2. What are some examples of events that can be analyzed using mathematical probability?

Some examples include flipping a coin, rolling a dice, drawing cards from a deck, and predicting the outcome of a sports game.

3. What are the basic concepts that are necessary to understand mathematical probability?

To understand mathematical probability, one should have a solid understanding of basic algebra, including concepts such as variables, equations, and inequalities. Knowledge of basic counting principles and sets is also important.

4. How is probability calculated?

Probability is typically calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

5. How is mathematical probability used in real life?

Mathematical probability is used in a wide range of fields, including finance, insurance, weather forecasting, and risk analysis. It is also used in everyday decision making, such as determining the chances of winning a lottery or choosing the most likely route to take when driving to work.