1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Reasoning and Writing - Counterexamples with subsets.

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f: A --> B be a function and let S, T [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A and U, V [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B.

Give a counterexample to the statement: If f (S) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] f (T); then S [itex]\subseteq[/itex] T:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

PF:

Assume f(S) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] f(T).

Let x [itex]\in[/itex] S.

Then [itex]\exists[/itex] y [itex]\in[/itex] f(S) [itex]\ni[/itex] f(x) = y.

Since f(S) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] f(T), y [itex]\in[/itex] f(T).

Suppose [itex]\forall[/itex] a [itex]\in[/itex] T where a ≠ x, [itex]\exists[/itex] y [itex]\in[/itex] f(T) [itex]\ni[/itex] f(a) = y.

Then x [itex]\notin[/itex] T.

Q.E.D.

I am not exactly sure I am doing this right, especially the reasoning beyond the ****. I almost have the feeling I should use the pre image of f(T) somehow to show that x [itex]\notin[/itex] T.

Why can I not just say that [itex]\exists[/itex] x [itex]\in[/itex] S where x [itex]\notin[/itex] T? Would that not suffice as a counterexample in such a general proof as this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't supposed to do a general proof. The statement isn't false for all functions, only some. You have to think of one.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3
    Oh! I don't know why I was thinking what I was.

How about...

Proof:
    Let f: ℝ → [0, ∞) by f(x) = x2.
    Q.E.D.

The negative ℝ could be considered S and the positive ℝ could be considered T. Then by f(x) = x2, f(S) is contained in f(T), but obviously S is not contained in T.

Would this be a suitable counterexample?

5. Apr 1, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's perfect!

6. Apr 1, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Some comments on your OP. When writing a proof, you should never use the symbols ##\exists## and ##\forall##. You should always write it out in words. This is a very common mistake that new people make and it's one way I see whether somebody is used to proving things or not.

And your proof should be much wordier. A proof should really be read like an english text.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  7. Apr 1, 2013 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I had no idea walruses observe the 1st of April. :biggrin:

8. Apr 1, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I was serious :frown:

9. Apr 1, 2013 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Haha, really? :biggrin:

Seriously, I do find a proof with all those logical operators a real PITA to read. I'd much prefer they wrote it all in words. But then, I'm not a mathematician, your walrus-ness. :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted