1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Representation of a Traveling Wave

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wave is represented by y = A sin (kx + ωt). Draw two cycles of the wave from x = 0 to x = 2λ at a) t = 0; b) t = T/4, where T = 1/f = 2∏/ω

2. Relevant equations
    y = A sin (kx+ωt)

k = 2∏/λ (number of wave peaks)

3. The attempt at a solution

I had a really hard time on this problem. From what I could do, for part a, I plugged in t = 0 and from that, I know we would end up with the equation:

y = A sin (kx)

From this, I gathered that the wave would be traveling in a -x direction since the sin function is positive. Outside of that though, I had no idea or understanding how to properly draw it...

Part b, the best I could gather is that in plugging in t = T/4, we'd get an equation of:

y = A sin (kx +ω(T/4)).

In taking T = 2∏/ω

We can find ω and get an equation of:

ω = 2∏/T

So our equation will then look like:

y = A sin (kx + (2∏/T) (T/4))

In simplifying the equation further, we get:

y = A sin (kx +∏/2)

Once again though, I'm lost how to properly draw it. I would really appreciate any guidance on to go about drawing it out. Would this equation also show that the wave is moving in the -x direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2
    So I went back to look at this problem again and I think I found what the graph would look like for part a at time zero. I have the document attached. My question for B then, for the equation found for part B, which was:

y = A sin (kx + ∏/2)

does this mean then that the graph would still move in the -x direction but shift by half a wavelength to the left?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted