Mathematical Tripos, archived question about squares

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem involving rational numbers and a given equation. The problem is to prove that if the equation (ay - bx)² + 4(a - x)(b - y) = 0 holds, then x = a and y = b or 1 - ab and 1 - xy are squares of rational numbers. The conversation provides tips and suggestions on how to approach and solve the problem, including using latex and looking at the equation as a quadratic in y. It also emphasizes the importance of providing attempts and being specific in order to receive help.
JanEnClaesen

Homework Statement

a, b, x, y are rational numbers

(ay - bx)² + 4(a - x)(b - y) = 0 implies that x = a and y = b or 1 - ab and 1 - xy are squares of rational numbers

2. The attempt at a solution
My attempts are hard to transcribe, is this mandatory for getting help? This is my first post, I am not familiar with the spirit of this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It is very important to describe what you have attempted if you are to get help.
It is also a good idea to make the question explicit - all you have there is a statement. Are you trying to prove the statement is true or something?

We are used to people having trouble describing their efforts - just give it your best shot.
If the problem is writing equations, try LaTeX ... eg:

##\{ a,b,x,y\} \in \mathbb{R}##

$$(ay - bx)^2 + 4(a - x)(b - y) = 0 \Rightarrow ( x = a \wedge y = b ) \vee (\{\sqrt{1 - ab} \wedge \sqrt{1 - xy}\}\in \mathbb{R} )$$

... that's probably not canonical notation - but, if you use the "quote" button bottom-right of this post, you will see how I did it.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
It is very important to describe what you have attempted if you are to get help.
It is also a good idea to make the question explicit - all you have there is a statement. Are you trying to prove the statement is true or something?

We are used to people having trouble describing their efforts - just give it your best shot.
If the problem is writing equations, try LaTeX ... eg:

##\{ a,b,x,y\} \in \mathbb{R}##

$$(ay - bx)^2 + 4(a - x)(b - y) = 0 \Rightarrow ( x = a \wedge y = b ) \vee (\{\sqrt{1 - ab} \wedge \sqrt{1 - xy}\}\in \mathbb{R} )$$

... that's probably not canonical notation - but, if you use the "quote" button bottom-right of this post, you will see how I did it.

LaTeX looks very convenient, thank you. You're right, the statement has to be proven true, but not exactly the statement you latexed, 1 - ab and 1 - xy are to be squares of rational numbers.

I tried working backwards: I substituted some numbers ( a = 3, y = 1/9, b = 1/4, x = 8 ) as to get a clue of the workings of the equation, I didn't get it. I tried substitutions similar to 1 - ab = m² and 1 - xy = n² . That didn't work out.

The equation (a + x)(b + y) - 2(ay + bx) = (a - x)(b - y) didn't prove much help either.
Dividing both ends by (a - x) ² or (b - y)² came to a dead end (doesn't matter which one, since it's sort of symmetric in a, b and x, y, as is evident by the commutativity of 1 - ab and 1 - xy).

JanEnClaesen said:
LaTeX looks very convenient, thank you. You're right, the statement has to be proven true, but not exactly the statement you latexed, 1 - ab and 1 - xy are to be squares of rational numbers.

I tried working backwards: I substituted some numbers ( a = 3, y = 1/9, b = 1/4, x = 8 ) as to get a clue of the workings of the equation, I didn't get it. I tried substitutions similar to 1 - ab = m² and 1 - xy = n² . That didn't work out.

The equation (a + x)(b + y) - 2(ay + bx) = (a - x)(b - y) didn't prove much help either.
Dividing both ends by (a - x) ² or (b - y)² came to a dead end (doesn't matter which one, since it's sort of symmetric in a, b and x, y, as is evident by the commutativity of 1 - ab and 1 - xy).

The only suggestion I can give is to look at the thing that = 0. It is a sum of two terms, so either both terms = 0 or both are non-zero. Look at what must happen in each case.

Ray Vickson said:
The only suggestion I can give is to look at the thing that = 0. It is a sum of two terms, so either both terms = 0 or both are non-zero. Look at what must happen in each case.

Thank you, but could you be a little more specific? You sort of repeated the question, sometimes reformulating the question presents the solution of course, but for my part, there's no solution in sight.

He's saying that in order for ##A+B=0## either ##A=0## and ##B=0## OR ##A=-B##.
In your case, ##A=(ay-bx)^2## and ##B=4(a-x)(b-y)##
... so what do you need x and y to be to make both these zero?

That's the first part - for the second part, try expanding the brackets and grouping like terms in x and y .. what shape does the resulting equation represent?

BTW: thanks for the redirect - the ##\mathbb{R}##s should be ##\mathbb{Q}##s.

Last edited:
JanEnClaesen said:

Homework Statement

a, b, x, y are rational numbers

(ay - bx)² + 4(a - x)(b - y) = 0 implies that x = a and y = b or 1 - ab and 1 - xy are squares of rational numbers

2. The attempt at a solution
My attempts are hard to transcribe, is this mandatory for getting help? This is my first post, I am not familiar with the spirit of this forum.

If you view the equation above as a quadratic in y and solve it, you get y in terms of x and a, b. By imposing the conditions that x and y must both be rational (and, of course, assuming a and b are rational) you will find that some other conditions must hold. You can prove all the required results in this way, but it is vital to look very carefully at the formula for y, to see how it can be simplified.

Ray Vickson said:
If you view the equation above as a quadratic in y and solve it, you get y in terms of x and a, b. By imposing the conditions that x and y must both be rational (and, of course, assuming a and b are rational) you will find that some other conditions must hold. You can prove all the required results in this way, but it is vital to look very carefully at the formula for y, to see how it can be simplified.

Ah, that does the trick, thank you. Yet I wonder, how could I have known?
Should it be a reflex action to calculate the discriminant of something quadratic?

Should it be a reflex action to calculate the discriminant of something quadratic?
It was my first reaction. "Oh look, x and y are squared - probably a conic section..."
You would probably have seen it had you expanded the brackets and stood back - a large writing surface is good for this - why so many people I know have whiteboards and/or big sheets of glass in their workspace

Basically you just get used to recognizing patterns that mean a particular class of equation is probably being dealt with ... then you try it out. It's why they make you do all those proofs and formulas and stuff - to get the experience to spot this sort of thing.

1. What is the Mathematical Tripos?

The Mathematical Tripos is an undergraduate mathematics program at the University of Cambridge that has been in existence since 1748. It is a highly prestigious program that emphasizes theoretical and abstract mathematics.

2. What is the purpose of the archived question about squares?

The archived question about squares is a part of the Mathematical Tripos examination. It tests the student's understanding of basic concepts in algebra and geometry, and their ability to apply them in problem-solving.

3. How many questions are there in the archived question about squares?

The archived question about squares typically contains three to four questions, each focusing on a different aspect of squares such as their properties, geometric constructions, and applications.

4. What is the difficulty level of the archived question about squares?

The difficulty level of the archived question about squares varies from year to year, but it is generally considered to be challenging. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical principles and the ability to think critically and creatively.

5. Is the archived question about squares still relevant in modern mathematics?

Yes, the archived question about squares is still relevant in modern mathematics as it tests fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills that are essential in various fields such as pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and computer science.