1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths for Engineering graduate studies

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    My to-the-point question: If I were to pick between rigour-based real analysis, rigour-based complex analysis or linear programming/optimization, which one would be the most beneficial for pursuing graduate studies in communication systems?

My mathematical background:
    - All the typical EE maths (Calculus up to Vector Calc, ODEs, PDEs, Fourier analysis)
    - Mathematical proofs (relearning calculus using sigmas and deltas, proofs, sets, axioms, convergence, etc)
    - Intro to complex analysis (non-rigorous, mostly just calculations)
    - Intro Statistics and Probability
    - Applied PDEs and Numerical Analysis

I am going into my last year of Electrical Engineering and plan on pursuing graduate studies in communication systems or a related field. I have the option of taking one or two graduate courses in my last semester of study. However, professors of these courses all recommend or require certain math prerequisites. For example, a course in stochastic signals requires a working knowledge of fundamental rigour-based real analysis with recommended knowledge of measure theory. A course in modern control systems strictly imposes a formal course in rigour-based complex analysis as its requirement. Another course in internet communication systems highly recommends previous experience in linear programming and mathematics typical for a CompSci student (graph theory, algorithm complexity, etc).

From what I can gather, even though all of these courses are in the same general field, their pre-reqs are completely different. Of course, an actual graduate student will probably not tackle all of these areas of study and will only have select math pre-reqs. For me, I am not sure what I actually want to focus on and would like to keep options open.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    You got a lot math for an Engineering student.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    ^ Up to 3 higher-level math courses can count towards technical electives and I am also trying to do a math minor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook