• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering

• Engineering
  • Thread starter anillatoo
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is that possible? Because I am much more interested to do a PhD in Mathematics than Mechanical Engineering...

Answers and Replies

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You will need to complete a lot of undergrad hours to prepare yourself for the graduate level course work. So be prepared for about a extra year or 2.

Not sure what math you took as a ME but generally it is not the classes you need for grad level math.

I don't know how to answer your question, but I thought that the fact that Raoul Bott, who was one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century, got degrees in engineering first would be an interesting tidbit. It was electrical engineering though....

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
To the OP,

I knew someone who had studied engineering for his undergraduate degree who have subsequently pursued a PhD in applied math, and I also know someone who finished her degree in engineering and subsequently pursued a PhD in statistics.

So the short answer is yes, it is possible. It would help if you have pursued at least a minor in math, though, to prepare for further graduate studies.

My real analysis professor obtained his B.S. in civil engineering and went to graduate school for math instead. He said he had to self study a lot. Also, there were examinations in algebra and analysis to get in, so he self studied to get good marks in these exams. Do note: he is from Iran so things are most likely different there.