Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering

In summary, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Mathematics after completing an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. However, it may require an extra year or two to complete the necessary undergraduate coursework in math. It would also be beneficial to have taken some math courses during the undergraduate degree. Some examples of individuals who have successfully pursued a PhD in math after an engineering degree are Raoul Bott and a real analysis professor from Iran who self-studied to prepare for graduate level math courses.
anillatoo
Is that possible? Because I am much more interested to do a PhD in Mathematics than Mechanical Engineering...

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to complete a lot of undergrad hours to prepare yourself for the graduate level course work. So be prepared for about a extra year or 2.

Not sure what math you took as a ME but generally it is not the classes you need for grad level math.

I don't know how to answer your question, but I thought that the fact that Raoul Bott, who was one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century, got degrees in engineering first would be an interesting tidbit. It was electrical engineering though...

To the OP,

I knew someone who had studied engineering for his undergraduate degree who have subsequently pursued a PhD in applied math, and I also know someone who finished her degree in engineering and subsequently pursued a PhD in statistics.

So the short answer is yes, it is possible. It would help if you have pursued at least a minor in math, though, to prepare for further graduate studies.

My real analysis professor obtained his B.S. in civil engineering and went to graduate school for math instead. He said he had to self study a lot. Also, there were examinations in algebra and analysis to get in, so he self studied to get good marks in these exams. Do note: he is from Iran so things are most likely different there.

1. Can I pursue a PhD in Maths after majoring in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Maths after majoring in mechanical engineering. Many universities offer interdisciplinary PhD programs that allow students to combine mathematics and engineering coursework. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics through your mechanical engineering degree can make you a competitive candidate for a PhD in Maths.

2. How long will it take to complete a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering will vary depending on the specific program and individual circumstances. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete a PhD in Maths, but this can be longer or shorter depending on factors such as research progress, coursework requirements, and thesis writing.

3. What are the job prospects for a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering?

Having a PhD in Maths after majoring in mechanical engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Graduates can pursue academic positions as professors or researchers, work in government agencies or research institutions, or enter the private sector in fields such as finance, data science, and computer science.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to pursue a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering?

While it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, it is not always a requirement to pursue a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering. Many programs offer remedial or foundational courses for students who may need to brush up on their math skills before beginning the PhD coursework.

5. What skills will I gain from pursuing a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering?

Pursuing a Maths PhD after majoring in mechanical engineering can help you develop a wide range of skills, including advanced mathematical and statistical analysis, critical thinking and problem-solving, research and data analysis, and effective communication. These skills are highly valued in both academia and industry and can make you a competitive candidate for a variety of career opportunities.