Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB Matrix dimensional error in numerical integration

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I tried to numerically integrate an equation in matlab using the trapezium method. Here is the code that I wrote:

ao = 1;
    X = 0:ao/10:ao;
    Y = 1/sqrt((power(Ho,2)*((O_m*power(X,-1))+(O_r*power(X,-2))+(O_l*power(X,2))))-(k*power(c,2)));
    age = trapz(X,Y);

where the values for O_m, O_r, O_l and k were obtained using input(). When I executed the above code, I get "Error using / Matrix dimensions must agree."

Can you tell me what the problem is?

Sarrvesh

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey sarrfriend.

MATLABs main data structure is a matrix and it treats pretty much everything in that way. This means that if you do say a * b, a + b and so on, then it assumes that this is going to be a matrix operation and it also assumes that the operations do things in terms of matrix assumptions (AxB a is axb, B is bxc and so on). This is why you get the error.

What you need to do if you want to do a component by component arithmetic operation is put a "." before the operation. For example lets say we have a vector A [0,1,2,3,4,5] and another vector B [0,2,4,6,8,10]. Then if we write C = A .* B we get [0,2,8,18,32,50]. If you want to do exponentiation just use .^ operator instead of power which will do a component wise exponentiation.

If you want to know more create a few row vectors of the same size and try .* ./ and .^ and see what you get in the output.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    Hi Chiro,
    Thanks the info. It worked.

Sarrfriend

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook