1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices and linear transformations. Where did I go wrong?

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone. Excuse me for my poor English skills. I did an exam today and my exam result was 13 of 40. I dont understand why it was my result, because while doing the exam I though I was doing it well, then the result was a surprise for me. I will write down the questions and after show my answers.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. (a) Let [itex] \pi_1: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] such that [itex]\pi_1 (x,y) = x[/itex]. Show that [itex]\pi_1[/itex] is a linear transformation. Calculate the kernel of [itex]\pi_1[/itex]. What is the dimension of its image? Explain your reason.

(b) Give an example of a linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is not surjective.

(c) There can be a injective linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex]? Explain your reason.

2. Consider the matrix

[itex] A = \begin{pmatrix}1&-2&8\\0&-1&0\\0&0&-1\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

(a) Calculate the eigenvalues and eigenspaces of A.

(b) Is A a diagonalizable matrix? Explain.

(c) Calculate [itex]tr(A^{2017})[/itex].

3. Are the matrices below diagonalizable? If not, explain your reason, if yes, diagonalize it.

(a) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

(b) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My answers:

1. (a) Linearity (addition):
    π1(x1, y1) = x1, π1(x2, y2) = x2
    π1(x1, y1) + π1(x2, y2) = x1 + x2 = π1(x1 + x2, y1 + y2).

Linearity (scalar multiplication):
    π1(αx1, y1) + π1(αx2, y2) =
    α(x1 + x2) = π1(α(x1 + x2), y1 + y2).

Ker(π1) = {0, y}, Im(π1) = ℝ2; dimension 2.

(b) T: ℝ2 → ℝ
    (x, y) [itex] \mapsto[/itex] T(x, y) = [itex]\sqrt x[/itex].

(c) Yes. This condition will be satisfied if each element of ℝ2 is mapped into each element of ℝ, e.g. (x, y) [itex] \mapsto[/itex] x.

(a) 1; -1. I found these values by setting the determinant of the matrix equal to zero.
    Eigenvectors of A are for λ= 1: t(1,0,0), for λ = -1: (-4α + β, β, α), with α, β, t ∈ ℝ.
    So A has two independent eigenvectors and the eigenspace is ℝ2.

(b) No. We need three independent eigenvectors to form the square matrix S in SAS-1 = D, and A has only two independent eigenvectors.

(c) A² = I, A³ = A, A4 = I, ... Since 2017 is a odd number, A2017 = A, and tr(A2017) = (1 x -1 x -1) = 1.

(a) The matrix has only one eigenvalue and is not diagonalizable.

(b)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1 (a) ##\text{Im}(\pi_1) = \{ x \in \mathbb{R}\}##, so is 1-dimensional.
    2. (a)##A## has three (linearly independent) eigenvectors.
    (b) So, yes: ##A## is diagonalizable.
    (c) The trace = sum of diagonal elements, not the product!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  4. Feb 3, 2017 #3
    Thanks Ray Vickson and StoneTemplePython. What about my answers on (b) and (c) on question 1.?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted