Matrices in Physics - Learn How Math Applies

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of matrix theory/linear algebra in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is suggested that taking a more advanced linear algebra course can benefit physics students, and the concept of a "proofy" course is explained. The conversation also mentions other higher level math courses that may be useful for physics students, such as topology and probability theory. It is noted that understanding the mathematical concepts behind quantum mechanics may require studying topics like differential geometry and functional analysis. However, taking a course on linear transformations is seen as beneficial even for those not interested in theory.
Jason White
I'm learning about Matrix Theory/Linear Algebra and I find this to be pretty interesting in comparison to any other math (calc) I've learned so far. Do matrices get used much in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a lot.

I would say that it's the single most important university-level math topic for physics students, except maybe the most basic stuff about functions, derivatives and integrals from the first calculus course (and high school). Matrices are used in all areas of physics, and are especially important in quantum mechanics.

If your course only covers matrix algebra, then it might be worth it to also take a more advanced linear algebra class that covers vector spaces and linear transformations more deeply. I guess that even physics students can benefit from a proofy linear algebra course. It will make QM and GR much easier if you have seen very theoretical linear algebra.

micromass said:
I guess that even physics students can benefit from a proofy linear algebra course. It will make QM and GR much easier if you have seen very theoretical linear algebra.

Yes, I think. Being a non-mathematician, I don't really know what a proofy course is, but the abstract structure of linear algebra is far more important for the conceptual understanding of QM than matrix manipulations like SVD.

Well, a proofy course and some familiarity with the mathematical machinery/mathematical maturity helps to get an "intuition" for the ideas behind the math of quantum. But the calculation stuff and understanding the theory is pretty handy too; understanding that an operator is diagonal in it's eigenbasis ahead of time, for instance, or knowing the eigenvalue eigenvector problem are both handy skills.

micromass said:
If your course only covers matrix algebra, then it might be worth it to also take a more advanced linear algebra class that covers vector spaces and linear transformations more deeply. I guess that even physics students can benefit from a proofy linear algebra course. It will make QM and GR much easier if you have seen very theoretical linear algebra.

We have learned the basic matrix operations, determinants, inverse matrices, transformations, Vector spaces, subspace, null space, column space, range, kernel etc. We are now doing Bases.

atyy said:
Yes, I think. Being a non-mathematician, I don't really know what a proofy course is, but the abstract structure of linear algebra is far more important for the conceptual understanding of QM than matrix manipulations like SVD.

I think by proofy he means a class focused on theorems and learning why something is or isn't valid rather than pure application. My class is definitely proofy because we need to use the theorems to explain why something is or isn't always consistent etc.

micromass said:

I do plan on taking the next higher level math course which is called Theory of Linear Transformations. The other higher level math courses that have my class (Applied Linear Algebra(Matrix Theory)) as a pre-requisite are classes dealing with linear or non-linear optimization, Topology, probability theory, and maybe one or two more. Whenever i hear optimization i think of the optimization from calculus class and i don't like doing that at all so i probably won't take those classes. And topology and probability theory don't interest me at all.

Jason White said:
I think by proofy he means a class focused on theorems and learning why something is or isn't valid rather than pure application.

That and doing proofs yourself.

Jason White said:
I do plan on taking the next higher level math course which is called Theory of Linear Transformations. The other higher level math courses that have my class (Applied Linear Algebra(Matrix Theory)) as a pre-requisite are classes dealing with linear or non-linear optimization, Topology, probability theory, and maybe one or two more. Whenever i hear optimization i think of the optimization from calculus class and i don't like doing that at all so i probably won't take those classes. And topology and probability theory don't interest me at all.
"Theory of linear transformations" sounds like exactly what you need. Topology is useful in differential geometry, which you will need to study to get good at general relativity. (Some DG courses have topology as a prerequisite). And it's absolutely essential in functional analysis, which is what you would have to study (in addition to the theory of linear transformations) to really understand the mathematics of quantum mechanics. (Most physicists don't).

Fredrik said:
"Theory of linear transformations" sounds like exactly what you need. Topology is useful in differential geometry, which you will need to study to get good at general relativity. (Some DG courses have topology as a prerequisite). And it's absolutely essential in functional analysis, which is what you would have to study (in addition to the theory of linear transformations) to really understand the mathematics of quantum mechanics. (Most physicists don't).

Of course, differential geometry and functional analysis are only needed if you're really into theory and want to understand the math behind the physics. But "Theory of linear transformations" sounds very useful even if you're not into theory.

1. What are matrices and how are they used in physics?

Matrices are a mathematical tool used to organize and manipulate data or information. In physics, matrices are commonly used to represent and solve systems of equations, transform coordinates, and calculate physical properties such as energy and momentum.

2. Can you provide an example of how matrices are used in physics?

One example is in quantum mechanics, where matrices are used to represent operators such as position, momentum, and energy. These operators act on the wavefunction of a particle and can be used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a certain state.

3. How do matrices help us understand and visualize physical phenomena?

Matrices allow us to represent complex physical systems in a compact and organized way. By manipulating and analyzing matrices, we can gain insights into the behavior and relationships of various physical quantities, leading to a better understanding and visualization of the underlying phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to using matrices in physics?

While matrices are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be able to accurately represent continuous systems or phenomena with infinite dimensions. In addition, the calculations involving matrices can become computationally intensive for large systems.

5. How important is it for physicists to have a strong understanding of matrices?

A strong understanding of matrices is crucial for physicists, as it allows them to effectively model, analyze, and solve complex physical systems. Matrices are also used in a wide range of other scientific fields, making it a valuable skill for any scientist to have.