Matrix A^(m+1) is different from A^(1+m)?

• B
  • Thread starter Aldnoahz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: This means that A(A^m) and A^(m+1) are equivalent and represent the same thing, even though they may look different due to the non-commutative property of matrix multiplication. Therefore, in this case, A^(m+1) is equal to A(A^m).
Aldnoahz
I am confused about a transition matrix as I need to prove that if matrix A is positive, then A^(m+1) is also positive. However, when calculating the (m+1)th transition, I need to put matrix A on the left side of equation (A^m)x=x to write A(A^m)x=x. This to me represents after m times transitions, we are transitioning for the (m+1) times. Intuitively, this yields the result A^(m+1) because we essentially transitioned m+1 times following this matrix. However, mathematically, I can only say that A(A^m) = A^(1+m), which seems to be different from A^(m+1) because of the none-commutative property. Yet they seem to represent the same thing? Are they really equal in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they are the same thing: matrix multiplication is associative; i.e. (AB)C = A(BC)

Likes Igael
Aldnoahz said:
I am confused about a transition matrix as I need to prove that if matrix A is positive, then A^(m+1) is also positive. However, when calculating the (m+1)th transition, I need to put matrix A on the left side of equation (A^m)x=x to write A(A^m)x=x. This to me represents after m times transitions, we are transitioning for the (m+1) times. Intuitively, this yields the result A^(m+1) because we essentially transitioned m+1 times following this matrix. However, mathematically, I can only say that A(A^m) = A^(1+m), which seems to be different from A^(m+1) because of the none-commutative property. Yet they seem to represent the same thing? Are they really equal in this case?
Every matrix commutes with itself.

1. What is the difference between A^(m+1) and A^(1+m)?

Matrix A^(m+1) is the result of raising the matrix A to the power of (m+1), while A^(1+m) is the result of raising the matrix A to the power of (1+m). The only difference is the order in which the operations are performed, but the end result is the same.

2. Are A^(m+1) and A^(1+m) different matrices?

No, they are not. Both expressions represent the same matrix A raised to a different power, but the resulting matrix will be the same.

3. Does the commutative property apply to A^(m+1) and A^(1+m)?

Yes, the commutative property applies to these expressions. This means that the order in which we raise a matrix to a power does not change the result.

4. Can you give an example of A^(m+1) and A^(1+m) being different?

One possible example is if the matrix A is not invertible. In this case, A^(m+1) and A^(1+m) may produce different results as the order of operations can affect the outcome. However, this is not a general rule and the majority of the time the two expressions will result in the same matrix.

5. How does the value of m affect the difference between A^(m+1) and A^(1+m)?

The value of m does not affect the difference between A^(m+1) and A^(1+m). As mentioned earlier, the end result will be the same regardless of the value of m, as long as the matrix A is invertible.