Matrix multiplication, P1.1.1 Golub/Van Loan-Matrix Computations 3rd

In summary, the first problem in the first section of the book is to find a solution for a system of linear equations in two variables. The author proposes a generalized solution in which the matrix ##M## is the product of two matrices, one for the columns of the first matrix and one for the columns of the second matrix. The first column of the resulting matrix can be found by calculating the first column of the rightmost multiplication in each step.
nanoship
Hi,
I am studying linear algebra from Golub G.H., Van Loan C.F.- Matrix Computations 3rd edition. This book is somewhat old now, but I find it rather comprehensive. I want to study all chapters and answer all problems appear at the end of each section. Here is the first problem from the first section. I found a solution but I am not sure if that is the right one.

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex] A \in \mathbb{R}^{n\times n}[/itex] and [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^{r} [/itex] are given. Give a saxpy algorithm for computing the first column of [itex] M=(A-x_{1}I) \dots (A-x_{r}I)[/itex].

Homework Equations

saxpy operation updates a vector ##y## by a scalar-vector multiplication. It is the shorthand for "scalar a x plus y". If [itex] x,y \in \mathbb{R}^{n} [/itex] and [itex] a \in \mathbb{R} [/itex], then saxpy algorithm can be written as below.

Code:
for i=1:n
  y(i) = a x(i) + y(i)
end

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem I propose a generalized solution. I suppose ##M## is multiplication of ##r## arbitrary matrices.

Consider matrix multiplication ##C=AB##.
Any column of ##C## can be written as a linear combination of the columns of ##A##. For example, if
[tex]A=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 2 \\
3 & 4
\end{bmatrix},
\;
B=\begin{bmatrix}
5 & 6 \\
7 & 8
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
then fırst column of [itex] C=\begin{bmatrix} c_1 & c_2 \end{bmatrix} [/itex] (column partitioned) is
[tex]
c_1=\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix}5 +
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\end{bmatrix}7
[/tex]
Note that calculation of ##c_1## involves ##A## as a whole but only the first column of ##B##.
Taking [itex] A^i=(A-x_iI)[/itex], ##M## can be written as follows.

[itex]M=A^1*A^2 \cdots A^{r-1}*A^r,\quad A^r=\begin{bmatrix} c_1^r & c_2^r & \cdots & c_n^r \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

We can find the first column of ##M## by calculating the first column of the rightmost multiplication at each step. Below I made a list of calculations. Note that first column of the left matrix of the rightmost multiplication is updated at each step.

1.step: ##m_1=A^1*A^2 \cdots A^{r-1}*c_1^r,\quad c_1^{r-1}=A^{r-1}c_1^r##
2.step: ##m_2=A^1*A^2 \cdots A^{r-2}*c_1^{r-1},\quad c_1^{r-2}=A^{r-2}c_1^{r-1}##
##\vdots##
r-1.step: ##M=A^1*c_1^2##

I provide the octave code I have written for this algorithm below. Here, saxpy operations occupy the inner loop.
Code:
function c1 = pr111(n,r)

A = magic(n)
x = round(rand(r,1)*100) # r-vector of elements in the range [0 100] integers
Ar = cell(r,1);

for i=1:r
  Ar{i} = A-eye(n)*x(i);
end

for i=r:-1:2
  y=zeros(n,1);
  # calculate the first column of rightmost multiplication
  for j=1:n
    y = Ar{i-1}(:,j)*Ar{i}(j,1) + y;
  end
  # update the first column of left matrix
  Ar{i-1}(:,1) = y;
end

c1 = Ar{1}(:,1);

My question is: Is there a faster way of calculating ##c_1## for the [itex]\prod^{r}_{i=1}{(A-x_{i}I)}[/itex] case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

did you do chapter 2?

Best wishes.

Hi,

Unfortunately I didn't. I switched to a book with a solution manual as I don't like solving problems without knowing if they are true or not.

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is an operation performed on two matrices, resulting in a new matrix. It is defined as the multiplication of rows and columns of one matrix with the columns and rows of the other matrix, respectively, to produce the elements of the resulting matrix.

What are the properties of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is associative, meaning the grouping of matrices does not affect the result. It is also distributive, meaning the sum of two matrices multiplied by a third is equal to the sum of each matrix individually multiplied by the third. However, it is not commutative, meaning the order in which the matrices are multiplied matters.

How do you perform matrix multiplication?

To perform matrix multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. Each element in the resulting matrix is calculated by multiplying the corresponding row of the first matrix with the corresponding column of the second matrix.

What is the purpose of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, transforming geometric shapes, and performing computations in linear algebra and statistics. It is also an important tool in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.

What are some common misconceptions about matrix multiplication?

One common misconception is that matrix multiplication is the same as the multiplication of real numbers. In reality, it is a more complex operation that follows specific rules and properties. Another misconception is that the product of two matrices is always a square matrix, when in fact, it can result in a matrix with different dimensions. Additionally, some people may think that the order in which matrices are multiplied does not matter, which is not true for matrix multiplication.