Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix representing projection operators

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone! I have a question regarding the matrix representation of a projection operator. Specifically, does the wavefunction have to be normalized before determining the projection operator? For example:

|Ψ1> = 1/3|u1> + i/3|u2> + 1/3|u3>

|Ψ2> = 1/3|u1> + i/3|u3>

Ψ1 is obviously normalized and Ψ2 isnt

Now to calculate the matrix that represents the projection operator, just make row and column matrices and multiply out. For Ψ1:

| 1/3|u1> |
    | i/3|u2> | * (| 1/3|u1> i/3|u2> 1/3|u3> |)
    | 1/3|u3> |

Which gives a 3x3 Hermitian matrix.

My question is do I have to normalize Ψ2 in order to do the same process? The result is a Hermitian operator either way, I believe, but I just want to know if 'technically' it needs to be normalized first.

thanks for any input!

Timmy

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    ps: I realize this is a little 'homeworky' and if it is too much so, I apologize for posting it in the wrong place.

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    yes if you want to build a projection operator out of a wavefunction then the wavefunction has to be normalized, but it's also true that it's Hermitian either way. A projection operator P should obey PP=P, so |[tex]\psi[/tex]><[tex]\psi[/tex]|[tex]\psi[/tex]><[tex]\psi[/tex]|=|[tex]\psi[/tex]><[tex]\psi[/tex]| requires <[tex]\psi[/tex]|[tex]\psi[/tex]>=1

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4
    Alright! Thanks for the help--I appreciate it!

Timmy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?