1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix solution solution and linear combo

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    I've attached the problem.

for the 1st part:
    I solve the system for det(A)=0 and find the values of a that the system DOES NOT have an unique solution.

This ended up being a=0, -2, 2

Thus the answer would be a≠0, -2 , 2

For the 2nd part:
    I must rearrange the matrix A such that the last column [0 0 1]^T is the rightmost column of an augmented matrix.
    I then find RREF of this matrix. In order for the last column to be a linear combo of the 1st 2, there must be no free variables in the 1st 2 columns. I'm not too sure how to row reduce this problem though since we have a variable a in there. I can tell that a=0 is one of the answers by inspection. a can't equal another other scalar because that will yield an inconsistent system. Thus, a=0 should be the only answer.

How do I approach this problem by row reducing? because not all problems can be solved by inspection.

This problem was a practice problem from last year's exam. It was 1 of 6 problems on the 50 minute test. The problem is it took me like 20minutes just to do this problem (However, I have not done any reviewing yet.) The second part took under a minute, but the second part just took me a while to figure out what is going on.

Also, on a side note, the vector b is not used to solve these 2 parts right?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct. I presume you expanded on the last column so it was relatively easy to find the determinant.

If you just use the definition of "linear independence" there must exist numbers x and y such that [itex]2ax+ a^2y= 0[/itex], [itex]ax+ 2ay= 0[/itex], and [itex]x+ y= 1[/itex]. From ax+ 2ay= 0, as long as a is not 0, x= -2y. Putting that into x+y= 1, -2y+ y= -y= 1 so y= -1 and x= -2y= 2. But then the first equation becomes 4a- 2a= 2a= 0 which is only true if a= 0. If a= 0 then x and be anything and y= 1- x. That shouldn't take 20 minutes.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    I think you typoed, it's x+2y=1. Thys -2y+2y=1 wihch gives 0=1, which doesn't make sense, thus a=0/

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Correction: this last equation should be x+ 2y= 1 (Thanks, pyroknife)
    Fron ax+ 2ay= 0, as long as a is not 0, x= -2y. Putting that unto x+ 2y= 1, -2y+ 2y= 0= 1 for all y which is impossible. Therefore a= 0 (easier than I thought!). If a= 0, and the only condition we have is x+y= 1 so x can be anything and then y= 1- x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook