1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max and min speed around banked curve

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car enters a turn whose radius is R. The road is banked at angle Theta, and the friction coefficient is mu. Find the max and min speeds for the car to stay on the road without skidding sideways.

2. Relevant equations

W = mg
    N = -W
    Friction force = f = muN
    Centripetal acceleration = ac = v^2/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's the force diagram I drew:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I have the following equations set up:
    N = mgcosTheta f = mumgcosTheta W = mg
    -W + N + f = 0
    NcosTheta - fcosTheta = Fc = ac

So far, I think I've set up the problem correctly, but now I don't know where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Examine the cases separately. For instance at the velocity that it would slip up the curve, what must the V be greater than?

Likewise for the case where it would slip down the inclined curve what does the force drawing tell you about how to treat the terms?

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    If the car were to slip up the curve, then the friction force f, pointing inward, is overcome. Likewise, the car slipping inwards would imply that W is overcoming f, which should be pointing outwards. How do I relate these concepts into my equations?

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Just write it down. What is the normal force? What force opposes it for it to slip in one direction or the other. What do you do with the weight component that is the sinθ term? What must the velocity be greater or less than for each case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?