1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Distance from which a python detects infrared radiation

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A python can detect thermal radiation with intensity greater than .60 W/m2. A typical human body has a surface area of 1.8 m2, a surface temperature of 30°C, and an emissivity e=0.97 at infrared wavelengths. What is the maximum distance from which a python can detect your presence? You can model the human body as a point source of radiation.

I = .60 W/m2
    e = 0.97
    T = 303 K
    A = 1.8 m2
    d = ? (m)

2. Relevant equations

λ = (2.9*106 nm⋅K)/ Temp (in K)
    I = P/(4πr2)
    Q/Δt = eσAT4
    σ = 5.67 * 10 -8 W/(m2⋅K4)

3. The attempt at a solution

λ = (2.9*106 nm⋅K)/ 303 K = 9571 nm

And if P = Watts, A = m2, and I = W/m2
    Then, P = I*A → .60*1.8 = 1.08 W

.60 W/m2 = (0.97 * 1.08 W)/(4πr2)
    r = .37 m

Honestly, I'm not sure what else to do. I don't think "P" is correct.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello R, welcome to PF :)

I agree P probably isn't correct. Is it clear what the relevant equations you are listing stand for ?
    I like the third one: Q/time (aka P !), according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law
    You have all the ingredients to evaluate the human body emission ##P_{emit}##. It's rather a lot.
    Your first equation tells you the peak wavelength of the intensity distribution spectrum is at over 9000 nm, so most of this P is in the infrared.
    I suppose (but don't know for sure -- perhaps someone else can confirm or correct) that fraction is precisely the emissivity factor.

And that is the P you want to distribute over a sphere using your second equation. By the time r is so big that I < 0.6 W/m2 you've found the range.

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3
    Oh! So, using P = eσAT4, I found P = 834 W.
    Then, I = P/(4πr2), I found that r = 10.5 m!

That's seems realistic! Thank you for all your help! :D

5. Feb 14, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope it's the right answer...
    Tried to check by working it out for a mouse (after all, a much more likely item on the snake menu) of, say, 25 gram, so 1/3500 times the weight and some (1/3500)2/3 the area. About 66 cm, so life isn't all that easy for a snake...

I also think I remember hearing that snakes only 'see' movement.

Oh, well, with physics you can't know everything (although some physicists seem to think otherwise ;) )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted