1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max height given angle and distance

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    Good morning,

I am trying to set up the following problem:

A golfer hits a golf ball at an angle of 25.0 degrees to the ground. If the golf ball covers a horizontal distance of 301.5 m, what is the ball's maximum height? (Hint: At the top of its flight, the ball's vertical velocity component will be zero).

I keep coming back to needing to know either time &/or the initial velocity.

Can it be assumed that the maximum height will occur at half the distance of X? If it can, I could use:
    tan25 = max height of Y / divided by .5X
    this would give me a solution for the max height of 70.30. Unfortunately this answer is wrong. According to the book the answer is 35.1m, so I gather I cant do this...

I then tried based on the hint to use the formula for the final velocity in the y direction as 0, but in both formulas which involve the final velocity in the y direction I would need to know the initial velocity which I do not have. To find the initial velocity I would need the time. In all the formulas involving initial velocity or time, I am missing at least 2 factors, so I do not see a way to solve for either of them.

I am sure I am missing some facet of this question. Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2
    please disregard...I just found a range formula for X that was later in the chapter which I can use. (change in X = initial velocity X sin 2a / g ) . Thanks for your help in this matter!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?