MAX POWER question from Dynamics

In summary, A loaded truck weighing 16*10^3 lb accelerates uniformly on a level road from 15ft/s to 30 ft/s during 4 s. The frictional resistance is 325 lb and the maximum power delivered to the wheels is 119 HP. To obtain this, the total force of the truck is calculated by adding the force of acceleration and friction, then using this force to find the total energy and finally dividing it by the time to get the power. It is important to note that the maximum power is at the final speed, as the truck requires more power to maintain the same acceleration at higher speeds. Calculating the maximum power can also be done by considering what happens in a small distance at the
CaityAnn

Homework Statement

A loaded truck weighs 16*10^3 lb and accelerates uniformly on a level road from 15ft/s to 30 ft/s during 4 s. If the frictional resistance is 325 lb determine the max power delivered to the wheels.

Homework Equations

I already know the answer, its 119 HP but I don't know how to get to it.

P= F*V = CHANGE WORK/CHANGE IN TIME

since there is no angle here, and the only force is the friction, I found the acceleration using the speed as funtion of time eq, I got A=3.75, they say accelerates uniformly so I assume that means constant acceleration.
Using the speed as a function of position equation I found the change in X to be 90 ft.

i know that KEintial+work due to friction=KE final
So Work = FF*distance, so 325*90, divided by 4 seconds to get power. Then divided by 550 to get to HP.

HELP, I am messing up somewhere, probably with the weight of the truck.:b:yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two 'forces' the one accelerating the truck and overcoming friction.
F(total) = m a + friction.

Since the friction and accelaration is constant, this force is constant over the distance so you can get the total energy and so power.
How you work it out in those bizarre units is beyond me!

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. But your going to have to spell it out for me as I have tried everything known to man.
what does the total energy have to do with it?
I know the mass, times the acceleration found through kinematics, and the fictional force is 375, add it all together to get the total force, then times distance, 90' to get the change in work.
Is that the change in work?
then divide by 4 seconds to get power=change work/change in time, then divide by 550 to convert to HP from ftlb/s.

Sounds right,
total force is (mass * acceleration) + friction.
then, Energy is force * distance.
finaly, Power is energy / time.

Yes, well, its not working.

I get 89.5 HP ( after converting everything to metric) as the average power.

me too. I am wondering if the Pmax eq is different, I remember from physics it being slightly different but I can't find a difference.. I have the answer already, it should be 119 HP.

Sorry my mistake - that's average power.
But constant acceleration doesn't take constant power, since ke = 1/2 m v^2 as you go faster it takes more power to keep the same rate of acceleration. So the max power is at the final speed.
I get roughly 120 hp ( working in metric and converting )
Have you done calculus yet? if not you can work it out by considering what happens in 0.1 foot at the max speed.

Last edited:
yes, i redid everything as maximum speed and got 118.8.
i found the power dissapated= 325*30m/s divded by 550 to convert and got 17.7 HP. Then I found the max energy using the max velocity as 1/2mv^2, converted it to power- 101.6 HP, added both since the power dissipated will need to be included as the intial output power and got 118.8

thank you also.

1. What is the definition of maximum power in dynamics?

Maximum power in dynamics refers to the maximum amount of work that can be done by a system in a given amount of time. It is the product of the maximum force applied and the maximum velocity achieved by the system.

2. How is maximum power calculated?

Maximum power is calculated by multiplying the maximum force applied to a system by the maximum velocity achieved by that system. This can be represented by the equation P = F x v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity.

3. What is the relationship between maximum power and efficiency?

The relationship between maximum power and efficiency is that a system operating at its maximum power output is also operating at its maximum efficiency. This means that the system is using the maximum amount of energy available to do work in the most efficient way possible.

4. How does maximum power relate to the concept of work?

Maximum power is directly related to the concept of work, as it represents the maximum amount of work that can be done by a system in a given amount of time. In other words, it is the rate at which work is done.

5. Can maximum power be increased?

Yes, maximum power can be increased by either increasing the force applied to a system or by increasing the velocity at which the system operates. This can be achieved through various means such as optimizing the design of a system or using external sources of energy.