Max Speed for Car on Concrete Curve of Radius 80.0m, 19.0^\circ Angle

  • Thread starter Thread starter calvinth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Turning
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
calvinth
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A concrete highway curve of radius 80.0 m is banked at a 19.0^\circ angle.

What is the maximum speed with which a 1900 kg rubber-tired car can take this curve without sliding? (Take the static coefficient of friction of rubber on concrete to be 1.0.)

The Attempt at a Solution



I used the equation v = sq rt (rg*tan(theta)) but that didn't work, so I used
v(max) = sq. rt. (rg*u(coeff. static friction)) and got 28.8 m/s2, but that didn't work either.

If anyone can tell me what I'm missing or went wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are trying to use some formula directly, it is the wrong formula.
If you have drawn free body diagram and then tried to get the formula, you have missed something. Show your attempt.
 
I'm not really sure how I should approach the problem. Can you tell me how I can start?