A curve of radius 76 m is banked for a design speed of 100 km/h

In summary, the problem is to determine the range of speeds at which a car can safely make a curve on wet pavement with a coefficient of static friction of 0.38. The minimum speed was found to be 67.43 km/hr by considering the direction of the friction force when the car goes too slow. To find the maximum speed, the sign of the friction force needs to be changed to prevent the car from shooting up the ramp.
rperez1

Homework Statement

If the coefficient of static friction is 0.38 (wet pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely make the curve? [Hint: Consider the direction of the friction force when the car goes too slow or too fast.]

Homework Equations

I am trying to figure out the Vmax

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the Vmin in doing:

ΣFx = ma = mv^2/r
Fnsinθ = mv^2/r (1)

Designed for 100km/h ~ 27.78m/s so there's no friction involved for now. Fn is the normal force.
Fnsinθ/Fncosθ = mv^2/mgr
tanθ = v^2/gr
θ = arctan(v^2/gr) = arctan((27.78)^2/(9.8*76))
= 46.02°

When you go very slow, the car's tendency is to slide down, so the friction acts up the ramp:

ΣFx = mv^2/r
Fnsinθ - fcosθ = mv^2/r (1)

ΣFy = 0
Fncosθ + fsinθ - mg = 0
Fncosθ + fsinθ = mg (2)

To eliminate Fn , f and m, i used the definition of friction:

f = μ*Fn
Fn = f/μ

And replaced Fn by f/μ in both equations:

fsinθ/μ - fcosθ = mv^2/r (1)*
fcosθ/μ + fsinθ = mg (2)*

I divided (1)* by (2)* to eliminate some values:

(fsinθ/μ - fcosθ)/(fcosθ/μ + fsinθ) = mv^2/mgr

(Factor f out and cancel it)
(sinθ/μ - cosθ)/(cosθ/μ + sinθ) = v^2/gr

Plugging in θ = 46.02° I found the min speed:

v = 18.73m/s = 67.43km/h

I have to find the max speed now but this time friction acts down the ramp to prevent car from shooting up. I just can't figure out how?

Physics news on Phys.org
rperez1 said:

Homework Statement

If the coefficient of static friction is 0.38 (wet pavement), at what range of speeds can a car safely make the curve? [Hint: Consider the direction of the friction force when the car goes too slow or too fast.]

Homework Equations

I am trying to figure out the Vmax

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the Vmin in doing:

ΣFx = ma = mv^2/r
Fnsinθ = mv^2/r (1)

Designed for 100km/h ~ 27.78m/s so there's no friction involved for now. Fn is the normal force.
Fnsinθ/Fncosθ = mv^2/mgr
tanθ = v^2/gr
θ = arctan(v^2/gr) = arctan((27.78)^2/(9.8*76))
= 46.02°

When you go very slow, the car's tendency is to slide down, so the friction acts up the ramp:

ΣFx = mv^2/r
Fnsinθ - fcosθ = mv^2/r (1)

ΣFy = 0
Fncosθ + fsinθ - mg = 0
Fncosθ + fsinθ = mg (2)

To eliminate Fn , f and m, i used the definition of friction:

f = μ*Fn
Fn = f/μ

And replaced Fn by f/μ in both equations:

fsinθ/μ - fcosθ = mv^2/r (1)*
fcosθ/μ + fsinθ = mg (2)*

I divided (1)* by (2)* to eliminate some values:

(fsinθ/μ - fcosθ)/(fcosθ/μ + fsinθ) = mv^2/mgr

(Factor f out and cancel it)
(sinθ/μ - cosθ)/(cosθ/μ + sinθ) = v^2/gr

Plugging in θ = 46.02° I found the min speed:

v = 18.73m/s = 67.43km/h

I have to find the max speed now but this time friction acts down the ramp to prevent car from shooting up. I just can't figure out how?
(I see you're new here, but ...) Please state your problem in the body of the Original Post of your thread. Don't post information in the title without including it in the thread, if it's important information.

I assume the "100 k" refers to 100 km/hr. Right ?

rperez1 said:
Wouldn't that simply change the sign you use for the force of friction ?

SammyS said:
(I see you're new here, but ...) Please state your problem in the body of the Original Post of your thread. Don't post information in the title without including it in the thread, if it's important information.

I assume the "100 k" refers to 100 km/hr. Right ?
yes it refers to 100 km/hr

1. How is the radius of a curve determined?

The radius of a curve is determined by measuring the distance from the center of the circle to the outer edge of the curve.

2. What is the significance of a banked curve for a design speed?

A banked curve is designed to allow a vehicle to maintain a stable speed while turning without slipping or sliding off the road. It also helps to reduce the amount of friction and wear on tires.

3. How is the design speed of a curve determined?

The design speed of a curve is determined by considering factors such as the radius of the curve, the banking angle, and the type of vehicle that will be traveling on the curve. Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the appropriate design speed.

4. Why is a curve of radius 76 m banked for a design speed of 100 km/h?

The curve is banked to ensure that a vehicle traveling at 100 km/h can safely navigate the curve without slipping or losing control. The radius and banking angle are carefully calculated to provide the necessary centripetal force to keep the vehicle on the road.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a banked curve?

While a banked curve is designed to increase stability and reduce the risk of accidents, there are still potential safety concerns. Factors such as weather conditions, vehicle speed, and driver error can all impact the safety of a banked curve. It is important for drivers to follow posted speed limits and pay attention to road conditions when approaching a banked curve.