Max speed of roller coaster at bottom of drop

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving the speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of a drop using work and energy equations. It is suggested to set the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy equal to each other, assuming no friction and an initial velocity of 0 m/s. The conversation also mentions the need to know the mass of the roller coaster, and concludes with the idea that solving this problem in an ideal scenario will result in the two equations being equal at the bottom of the drop.
pb23me

Homework Statement

The top of the roller coaster is 77.7m above the earth. From this height what speed can be reached when it reaches the bottom of the drop? This problem must be solved using work and energy equations not kinematic equations..

Homework Equations

Wg=-(mgyf-mgyi)
Wnet=(1/2mv2f-1/2mv2i)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the two equations equal to each other-assuming no friction-and tryed to solve for vf. However i can't see how to come up with that if i don't know the initial velocity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally roller coasters stop at the top of a steep fall, so I would assume that its initial velocity is 0 m/s. Otherwise you do not have enough information to get the initial velocity.

Ha thriller i remember these questions man, I'm like oh no how on Earth can i do this when i don't know the mass?! But setting E=05mv^2 and E=mgh equal to each other sound like a grand plan if you want to get rid of those cheeky masses! Cuz don't forget they should equal each other at the bottom of the slope in this imaginary magical world where the drop is perfectly vertical and there are no energy losses whatsoever. And yes rock.freak starting with u=0 is grand also. You've probs already solved it by now eh? Gosh darnit i wanted to sound smart. :( ;)

What is the max speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop?

The maximum speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop is dependent on several factors, including the height of the drop, the angle of descent, and the friction and air resistance during the ride. Generally, the faster the coaster drops and the steeper the angle, the higher the speed will be.

What is the formula for calculating the max speed of a roller coaster?

The formula for calculating the maximum speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop is given by: V = √(2gh), where V is the velocity (in m/s), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the drop (in meters).

What is the average max speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop?

The average maximum speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop is between 60-80 miles per hour (mph). However, this can vary greatly depending on the specific design and engineering of the coaster.

Can the max speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop be controlled?

Yes, the max speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop can be controlled by the design and engineering of the coaster, as well as the use of brakes and other safety mechanisms. Coasters can also be designed with different elements, such as loops and corkscrews, that can affect the speed at the bottom of the drop.

What are the safety considerations for the max speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop?

The safety considerations for the max speed of a roller coaster at the bottom of the drop include the design and engineering of the coaster, regular maintenance and inspections, and the use of safety restraints and mechanisms to ensure the safety of riders. Coasters must also adhere to specific industry regulations and standards for safety.