Find all positive pairs (k,l) where √k+√l=√(4+√7)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Foamy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Foamy
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Appoint all the pairs (k, l) (both k and l in R^+) such that:
[tex]\sqrt{k}+\sqrt{l}=\sqrt{4+\sqrt{7}}[/tex]

I'm really stuck at it. First of all, I think that getting rid of the roots may be a good idea so we have:
[tex]k+l+2\sqrt{kl}=4+\sqrt{7}[/tex]
[tex]2\sqrt{k \ell}-\sqrt{7}=4-k-\ell[/tex]
[tex]7+4 k \ell-4 \sqrt{7} \sqrt{k \ell}=16-8 k+k^2-8 \ell+2 k \ell+\ell^2[/tex]

...but when we get to the equation with no roots left at all (I mean, when [tex]-4\sqrt{7kl}[/tex] turns into 112kl), it's REALLY long (and by "REALLY" I mean around 90 characters long). Does it sound right or not really?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you just let k be arbitrary, and let l = [√(4+√7) - √k]2, so that √k + √l = √(4+√7) when √(4+√7) - √k > 0?

The point is that for any fixed k, there is at most one solution for l, since square root is injective.