Maximizing Profit in Online Business

In summary: L/3.In summary, the author suggests that if you touch the string lightly at a position L/3, the string will continue to oscillate as a whole.
maxelcat
Homework Statement
The fundamental frequency f is the lowest frequency heard when a stretched string is vibrating.
The string is now lightly touched one third of the way along its length.
What is the lowest frequency heard?

The answer seems to be 3f - but I cannot get that.
Relevant Equations
speed = freq x wavelength
Here's my working. Perhaps I make some wrong assumptions?
1618331589559.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is not clear to me. Also, what does "lightly touched" mean? Is it supposed to imply that the string needs to have a node there? (Note that the wave with wavelength 4L/3 does not have a node at one of the ends.

well, I read it as being a node at the point at the point where it is touched

Orodruin said:
Also, what does "lightly touched" mean?

I believe the "lightly" qualifier for these types of problems serves to indicate that the parts of the string on both sides of the node continue to oscillate,

as opposed to having the string on one particular side of the node stop oscillating, effecting a reduction in the oscillating length.

(e.g. as shown here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flageolette.svg)

Likes DaveE
maxelcat said:
well, I read it as being a node at the point at the point where it is touched
Is there any frequency with wavelength 4L/3 for the string of length L?

etotheipi said:
I believe the "lightly" qualifier for these types of problems serves to indicate that the parts of the string on both sides of the node continue to oscillate,

as opposed to having the string on one particular side of the node stop oscillating, effecting a reduction in the oscillating length.

(e.g. as shown here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flageolette.svg)
that is how i read it. so string vibrates in two sections one of lenth 2L/3 and one L/3

maxelcat said:
that is how i read it. so string vibrates in two sections one of lenth 2L/3 and one L/3
No, that is not what he said. That would be holding the string firmly at L/3.

Likes etotheipi
From my understanding of the problem, ##f_2## is your frequency for the string of length ##2/3L##. Try to isolate it on one side of the equal sign and see what frequency you get.

Then do the problem for the string of length ##1/3L## and see what frequency you get for that.

Orodruin said:
No, that is not what he said. That would be holding the string firmly at L/3.
so that would mean there is only going to wave - the shorter one

hicetnunc said:
From my understanding of the problem, ##f_2## is your frequency for the string of length ##2/3L##. Try to isolate it on one side of the equal sign and see what frequency you get.

Then do the problem for the string of length ##1/3L## and see what frequency you get for that.
Again, this is not how I read the problem based on #4.

Orodruin said:
Again, this is not how I read the problem based on #4.
I think the problem has been WAY overanalysed. I think it's just a problem involving an initial string of length ##L## and frequency ##f##, that you subdivide into two parts and calculate their frequencies. At least, that would be my experience with homework problems.

For any deeper analytics, one would need more information about the string.

@maxelcat, the point is that if you touch the string lightly at a position ##L/3##, then the string continues to oscillate "as a whole", i.e. the new lowest frequency of oscillation (say ##f'##) is the same for all points on the string. You are essentially just imposing the condition that the string, of length ##L##, has a node at position ##L/3##. Have a look at case 5 in the image I linked to in post #4; it should then be clear why ##f' = 3f##!

This is not the same as pressing firmly, which would result in the two sides of the string becoming independent of each other (effectively, you'd instead have two separate, shorter strings).

Likes hicetnunc
etotheipi said:
@maxelcat, the point is that if you touch the string lightly at a position ##L/3##, then the string continues to oscillate "as a whole", i.e. the new lowest frequency of oscillation (say ##f'##) is the same for all points on the string. You are essentially just imposing the condition that the string, of length ##L##, has a node at position ##L/3##. Have a look at case 5 in the image I linked to in post #4; it should then be clear why ##f' = 3f##!

This is not the same as pressing firmly, which would result in the two sides of the string becoming independent of each other (effectively, you'd instead have two separate, shorter strings).
Yes - I can see that. I misunderstood what it meant about 'lightly'. Thanks all. (BTW this is an AS level q so it shouldn't be hard!)

Likes etotheipi
hicetnunc said:
I think the problem has been WAY overanalysed. I think it's just a problem involving an initial string of length ##L## and frequency ##f##, that you subdivide into two parts and calculate their frequencies. At least, that would be my experience with homework problems.

For any deeper analytics, one would need more information about the string.
No, you just have the wrong interpretation. The entire idea of being touched lightly is to force the string, as a whole, into an oscillation that has a node point at L/3.

1. How can I increase my profit in online business?

There are several ways to increase profit in online business. One way is to analyze your current pricing strategy and adjust it accordingly. Another way is to focus on customer retention and loyalty, as repeat customers tend to spend more. Additionally, investing in marketing and advertising can attract new customers and drive sales. It is also important to regularly review and optimize your business operations to reduce costs and increase efficiency.

2. Should I offer discounts and promotions to increase profit?

Offering discounts and promotions can be an effective strategy to attract new customers and increase sales. However, it is important to carefully plan and execute these offers to ensure they do not negatively impact your profit margins. Consider offering discounts on products with higher profit margins or using limited-time promotions to create a sense of urgency among customers.

3. How can I optimize my website for maximum profit?

Optimizing your website can greatly impact your profit in online business. This includes ensuring your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate, as well as optimizing for search engines to increase visibility. It is also important to regularly update and improve your website to keep up with industry trends and customer needs.

4. Is it better to focus on a niche market or target a wider audience?

This depends on your specific business and goals. Targeting a niche market can be beneficial as it allows you to cater to a specific audience and stand out from competitors. However, targeting a wider audience can also lead to increased sales and profit. It is important to conduct market research and analyze your target audience to determine the best approach for your business.

5. How can I effectively manage my finances to maximize profit?

Managing finances is crucial for maximizing profit in online business. This involves regularly tracking and analyzing your income and expenses, as well as setting and sticking to a budget. It is also important to regularly review and negotiate contracts with suppliers to ensure you are getting the best deals. Consider hiring a financial advisor or using financial management software to help with this process.