Understanding Standing Waves in Open Tubes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of standing waves in an open tube and the confusion surrounding the idea that the wave does not appear to be moving despite the presence of air being blown out of the tube. It is explained that the air in the tube undergoes longitudinal oscillations rather than lateral oscillations, and that the movement of air through the tube is largely irrelevant in creating the sound.
WRS
Homework Statement
standing waves
Relevant Equations
harmonics, wavelength
Hello everyone.

I'm having some trouble understanding waves. Particularly standing waves in an open tube.

So we have an open tube, someone blowing air into it creating a first harmonic and we have particles oscillating back and forth. The particles oscillating pressurize where the air displacement nodes exist.

This is a bit intuitively conflicting with the idea of a standing wave.. That being a standing wave is a wave in which the peaks/troughs of the wave occur at the same points.

How is it that I can blow on a tube, have noticeable air come out of the other side yet it produces a 'non moving wave' while air particles are being blown out the other end?

Is it due to the fact that blowing on a tube creates a momentary high pressure inside the tube? So when I blow into the tube the air is essentially being 'pushed back' into the tube when it meets the end of the tube... creating oscillations of pressure? I feel I'm missing something here.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the conflict. It's just that the air in the pipe undergoes longitudinal oscillations, whereas your canonical standing wave model has lateral oscillations.
At some instant, the standing wave peaks and troughs are at a maximum; correspondingly, there are instants when there is max displacement one way at one point in the tube and max displacement the other way half a wavelength further on.

When creating a sound by blowing, the movement of air through the tube is largely irrelevant. Typically one either blows across a hole or through a reed to create the initial sound. Certainly the molecules are moving much faster in executing their oscillations than in traversing the tube.

What are standing waves in open tubes?

Standing waves in open tubes are a type of sound wave that occurs when a sound source is placed at one end of an open tube and the other end is left open. This creates a resonance effect, causing the sound waves to reflect back and forth between the two ends, creating a stationary pattern of nodes and antinodes.

How are standing waves in open tubes different from closed tubes?

Standing waves in open tubes are different from closed tubes in that they have one end open, allowing for the sound waves to reflect back and forth. In closed tubes, both ends are sealed, causing the sound waves to reflect and interfere with each other, creating a different pattern of nodes and antinodes.

What factors affect the formation of standing waves in open tubes?

The formation of standing waves in open tubes is affected by several factors, including the length of the tube, the frequency of the sound source, and the speed of sound in the medium. These factors determine the wavelength and the distance between nodes and antinodes in the standing wave pattern.

What are some real-life applications of standing waves in open tubes?

Standing waves in open tubes have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments like flutes and organ pipes. They are also used in acoustic resonators, such as in car exhaust systems, to reduce noise. Additionally, standing waves in open tubes are used in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound.

How can standing waves in open tubes be manipulated or controlled?

Standing waves in open tubes can be manipulated and controlled by changing the length of the tube or the frequency of the sound source. This can be done by adjusting the position of a movable end or changing the pitch of the sound produced. Additionally, adding objects or obstacles inside the tube can alter the standing wave pattern.