Fuel consumption of Harrier vertical takeoff with Pegasus engine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 28K views
The Harrier has less structural fuel capacity than mentioned in the forum but outboard tanks fix flight time problems as mission requirements demand. The engines are intercooled turbofans which means that air is not a problem. An internal sealed coolant system takes care of that and shuts off at preset vertical speed and altitude.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
In another Physics link - in 1983 a harrier got lost on an exercise and ended up landing on a Spanish container ship near Teneriffe. The big flat crate it landed on was carrying the base plate for one of the British Telescopes on La Palma. There is a photo of the landing in the tea room there.
It's funny how one remembers things from a while back. I knew I had heard this before when I saw this picture:

8233591f6329d56e25.jpg


A good thread here:
http://rus-military.livejournal.com/51607.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
A couple of conventional jet fighters can steer the output nozzles of their jet engines a few degrees to provide a little more maneuverability.

The F-22 has one of the most unique designs like this. There is also that "other" VTOL plane the US has been playing with for years. It has a single main engine where the output can twist 90* so it faces down twards the ground it out behind the plane. It also has the 2nd fan in the middle of the Fuelsalage (sp) to balance the vertical lift. I wish I could remember a name so I could post a picture.