Centrifugal compressor lift aircraft -- engineering help please

In summary, a person is seeking advice on their design for a new type of aircraft that uses two turbo compressor wheels and a drive belt from an electric motor. They want to use these components to create enough air flow to lift an RC model aircraft that weighs 8-10 pounds. The design is inspired by the Harrier jet and the person has looked into different aircraft weights and engine power. They also mention using compressor bleed air in their design. However, they are not aiming to create boost pressure like a normal turbo compressor. They have researched motors, batteries, and controllers for their design and asked for advice on the necessary RPM and power for the compressor wheels. They also mention wanting the aircraft to have the ability to hover and have come across
Olas
IMG_20190308_085804819.jpg
IMG_20190308_105453568.jpg
Hello, I have a design for a different type of aircraft. I wanted an actual engineer to give advice before I fork over for some parts to try and make a working model. Attached are some pics. some of the pics are as if it were a full size acft. But for the model I was just going to use two turbo compressor wheels and a drive belt from an electric motor and make the frame out of foam or carbon plates.
Function: the compressor wheels will work as a normal turbo compressor, although not trying to make 20psi of boost. more of just enough air flow to be ducted out the winglets through movable nozzles like a Harrier jet kinda.

the image with the two turbine engines you can ignore. it would just be the ultimate end goal. I am just focused on making an eletric RC version first. There is much more design detail I have but mostly just for flight controls and what not.

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_085804819.jpg
    IMG_20190308_085804819.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_20190308_105453568.jpg
    IMG_20190308_105453568.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_20190308_105500673.jpg
    IMG_20190308_105500673.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20190308_105500673.jpg
    IMG_20190308_105500673.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Please clarify. Are you trying to make a hovercraft, or something like a Harrier Jet?

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Please clarify. Are you trying to make a hovercraft, or something like a Harrier Jet?
More like the Harrier. But oriented more towards constant ability to hover. I've looked into different ACFT weights and engine power and it just seemed like this would work. If the heavy Harrier can hover, at least temporarily using exhaust and bleed air, I figured that I could make it work using what is essentialy a lot of compressor bleed air.

Hint:

How many kw (or hp) do you think the motor needs?
How many kw (or hp) do you think a Harrier Pegasus engine makes?
What powers the motor?

anorlunda said:
Hint:

How many kw (or hp) do you think the motor needs?
How many kw (or hp) do you think a Harrier Pegasus engine makes?
What powers the motor?

Well the latest model of Harrier was 14,000 LBS empty and 31,000 LBS max With an engine producing 23,500 LBS of thrust. So i figure My model could follow a similar ratio of pwr to wght and just hack off some zero (to over simplify)
I should need very little torque to spin the compressors, but quite a bit of RPM. I have several motors/batteries/controllers picked out along with different sized belt drive gears to swap out for optimum rpm/torq.

Hi !
Be wary of the Harrier's Pegasus rated thrust, as several techniques were used to briefly augment it including, IIRC, water injection...

FWIW, I used to know the guy who was lead designer on 'Tiger Team' that solved getting enough thrust to take the Pegasus design supersonic...
Needed a real-clever 'afterburner' system, apparently, though not at the back...
Didn't happen, you say ?
But it did, just in time for the entire project to be killed, victim of trans-Atlantic politics...

Olas said:
I should need very little torque to spin the compressors,

i think you should experiment with a vacuum cleaner to get a 'feel' for centrifugal pump behavior.

Cover the hose on your vacuum cleaner and note how the motor speeds up..
Then uncover it and listen to the motor slow back down.
That fascinated me as a child
but i didnt understand until Physics class that the impeller gets a lot harder to turn when airflow commences.

old jim

Likes Spinnor
I guess what I am asking, is if anyone knows the math on what RPM, per a specific compressor wheel, would be required to create enough air flow in order to lift an rc craft that maybe weighs 8 or 10 lbs and how much power it would need. I am not trying to make boost pressure with them, just enough air flow for lift.

If you shop for drones in the range of 8-10 pounds, you can find the specs on the motors used and the power consumption.

Knowing the battery voltage, AH storage rating of the battery, and maximum flight time yields power.

Of course that ignores efficiency, but it does give you and order of magnitude guess.

Likes Spinnor
Olas said:
More like the Harrier. But oriented more towards constant ability to hover. I've looked into different ACFT weights and engine power and it just seemed like this would work. If the heavy Harrier can hover, at least temporarily using exhaust and bleed air, I figured that I could make it work using what is essentialy a lot of compressor bleed air.
I ran across this a few weeks ago, I believe it might be fitting for your studies. :)

Likes Spinnor and Olas
RonL said:
I ran across this a few weeks ago, I believe it might be fitting for your studies. :)

This is pretty cool. My idea is only semi similar, I don't want ducted fans per say

Olas said:
two turbo compressor wheels

Olas said:
I don't want ducted fans

What is the difference in your mind?

Olas said:
I guess what I am asking, is if anyone knows the math on what RPM, per a specific compressor wheel, would be required to create enough air flow in order to lift an rc craft that maybe weighs 8 or 10 lbs and how much power it would need. I am not trying to make boost pressure with them, just enough air flow for lift.
i think you have a couple separate things to calculate

how much air do you need to move through your compressor
and to what pressure should you raise it before handing it to your exhaust nozzle...?

Clearly you'll want at least 8 pounds of thrust to hover

and here's an introduction to thrust
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/thrsteq.html
upload_2019-3-13_1-47-26.png

since you're adding no fuel your exit and inlet mass flow (m'e and m'0) are the same

so you'll raise pressure then expand it through a nozzle back to atmospheric pressure but it'll leave with greater velocity.

Now here's a painless way to understand thrust with hardly any math
it is a thought experiment:
consider a very un-streamlined rocket , one that's a perfect cube.
It has some internal pressure P psi(provided by your centrifugal pump)
and one un-streamlined nozzle - in fact so un-streamlined it's just a hole in the bottom.

rocketbox.jpg

You can get a rough estimate of the thrust you'll make by choosing internal pressure and nozzle area
a 2 inch diameter nozzle would have area pi square inches
and to make 8 pounds thrust would take, lessee here Force = Pressure X Area
so Pressure = Force/Area
and 8 pounds of force divided by pi square inches = about 2.5 psi.

So the question then becomes how much air will 2.5psi push through a 2 inch orifice?

Bernoulli's equation will let you estimate velocity increase due to a given pressure drop,
but be aware it's only approximate because the air is compressible so an exact answer takes more calculation than this simple presentation at
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html
upload_2019-3-13_18-22-54.png
Density of air is so small you'll get surprising velocities with that much pressure.

From velocity and area you know volumetric flow rate
multiply that by density and you know mass flow rate
and the power your pump has to supply is one half second's mass flow X velocity^2

I suppose one could derive a one-step formula or try one from a book
but i think it's better to figure things put from the basics...

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-13_1-47-26.png
    upload_2019-3-13_1-47-26.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 656
  • rocketbox.jpg
    rocketbox.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 614
  • upload_2019-3-13_18-22-54.png
    upload_2019-3-13_18-22-54.png
    28 KB · Views: 752
Likes sysprog, russ_watters, 2milehi and 3 others
Olas said:
View attachment 239939 View attachment 239940 Hello, I have a design for a different type of aircraft. I wanted an actual engineer to give advice before I fork over for some parts to try and make a working model. Attached are some pics. some of the pics are as if it were a full size acft. But for the model I was just going to use two turbo compressor wheels and a drive belt from an electric motor and make the frame out of foam or carbon plates.
Function: the compressor wheels will work as a normal turbo compressor, although not trying to make 20psi of boost. more of just enough air flow to be ducted out the winglets through movable nozzles like a Harrier jet kinda.

the image with the two turbine engines you can ignore. it would just be the ultimate end goal. I am just focused on making an eletric RC version first. There is much more design detail I have but mostly just for flight controls and what not.

I remember seeing the similar-concept light VTOL experimental craft in the Kagamihara museum.
http://www.city.kakamigahara.lg.jp/webmagagine/6874/24752/027127.html

Prototype in Kagamihara routed to wingtips only a part of the airflow though - ducting all the airflow will produce much more roll authority than needed, without easy method of pitch control. Rule of thumb is what 10% of airflow will be to winglets for roll control, and 90% blown down near center-of-mass to produce lift. Differential thrusting of 2 motors seated in tandem before and after center-of-mass do also provide pitch control.

RC model Harriers have been built and flown but it's not easy. I suggest you contact people who have actually done it and know the scale of the problem. Might be videos on YouTube.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a centrifugal compressor lift aircraft?

A centrifugal compressor lift aircraft is a type of aircraft that uses centrifugal force generated by a high-speed rotating compressor to create lift and enable flight. This type of aircraft is still in the conceptual stage and has not been fully developed for commercial use.

2. How does a centrifugal compressor lift aircraft work?

The aircraft works by using a centrifugal compressor, similar to those used in gas turbines, to compress air and create a high-pressure region above the aircraft's wings. This pressure difference creates lift, allowing the aircraft to fly.

3. What are the potential advantages of a centrifugal compressor lift aircraft?

One potential advantage is that it could potentially eliminate the need for traditional wings and flaps, leading to a more streamlined and efficient design. It could also potentially have a higher lift-to-drag ratio, allowing for faster and more fuel-efficient flight.

4. What are the challenges in developing a centrifugal compressor lift aircraft?

One of the main challenges is designing a compressor that can generate enough lift to support the weight of the aircraft. There are also challenges in controlling the aircraft's flight and stability, as well as addressing potential safety concerns.

5. Is there any current research or development on centrifugal compressor lift aircraft?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts in this area, but it is still in the early stages. Some companies and organizations are working on prototypes and conducting tests to further explore the feasibility and potential of this type of aircraft.