Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum air velocity through a hole

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    this should be easy. suppose i have a very large spaceship holding a tremendous volume of air at 14.7psi with a density of .0023769 slug/ft^3. i put a hole in the side of my spaceship that is 6" in diameter which vents to the vacuum of outer space. what is the velocity of the escaping air? i did this myself and came up with a value of about 14115 ft/min or 160 mph. can anyone confirm? if i am wrong, can you point out my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is this a schoolwork question? Or maybe you are writing a science fiction story?

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    an impulse drive after complete engine failure. no, just messing with you. i have an old vw bug which is of course air cooled. at some rpm point the fan in the bug will be able to draw air in so fast that the suction will exceed the ability of the atmosphere to replenish the flow. the input for the fan is about 6". i'm trying to calculate the hp draw and some limits of the fan for a discussion i'm having with some vw enthusiasts on another website called thesamba.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted