Maximum and Minimum voltage

In summary, we have been given the specifications for a generator and its rotor frequency. We are asked to find the maximum and minimum voltage generated, using the formula ε = Βlv. After solving for the maximum voltage, it was found to be 3141 V, and the minimum voltage is 0 V. The frequency was converted to radians and the maximum voltage was recalculated to be 314 V. Finally, after some discussion and calculation, the maximum voltage was confirmed to be 1000 V.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

Hi there, motor and generator gurus

Suppose a generator has the following specifications, and the rotor turns with frequency 10 Hz. Determine the maximum and minimum value of the voltage generated, using the formula: ε = Βlv

n = 1000 loops = 1000
B = 10 Tesla
I = 10 current of coil in Ampere (A)
A = (0.05 m x 0.1 m) area of coil in m2

τorque = 500 Nm

Homework Equations

ε = Βlv maximum voltage is E0 = NABω Since ω = 2pif

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is maximum voltage 1000 x 10 x (0.005) x 2 x pi x 10 = 3141 V

Minimum voltage = E0 = 0 (min voltage must be zero)

Assistant needed as my voltage is excessive IMO.

Cheers and thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have worked it out, can someone please confirm.

10 Hertz converted to radians is 62.83, therefore my volts would drop to 314 V

and minumum - if e = 0, then the minimum voltage should be 0.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi there, and help!

I have been attempting to nut this out and could use some guidance.

I think that I have the equation right now E(max) = 2 x n (turns) x B(in tesla)x L x v sin (theta).

Based on the info already available (see previous post) the max voltage is 1000 V.

Can someone please confirm.

Cheers

Anyone? Please assist.

Regards

for the question.

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. Firstly, it is important to specify the units for each of the given parameters in the problem, such as the length (l), magnetic field strength (B), and current (I). This will ensure that the calculations are accurate and consistent. Additionally, the torque value provided is not relevant to the calculation of maximum and minimum voltage, so I will not be using it in my response.

Now, to determine the maximum and minimum voltage generated by the generator, we can use the equation ε = Βlv, where ε is the induced voltage, B is the magnetic field strength, l is the length of the coil, and v is the velocity of the coil.

Using the given values, we can calculate the maximum voltage as follows:

ε = (10 T) x (1000 loops) x (0.05 m x 0.1 m) x (10 A) x (2π x 10 Hz)
= 3141 V

This value is correct, so your solution for the maximum voltage is accurate.

However, for the minimum voltage, we need to consider the direction of the induced voltage. The minimum voltage occurs when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, which means that the induced voltage will be zero. This is because the angle between the magnetic field and the coil is 90 degrees, and the sine of 90 degrees is 1, making the induced voltage equal to zero.

Therefore, the minimum voltage in this case would be zero, as you have correctly stated. However, it is important to note that this is only the case if the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field. If the coil is at any other angle, the minimum voltage will not be zero.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of maximum and minimum voltage in this scenario. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is maximum voltage and why is it important?

Maximum voltage is the highest amount of electrical potential energy that can be reached in a circuit. It is important because exceeding the maximum voltage can cause damage to electronic components and potentially start a fire.

2. How is maximum voltage different from nominal voltage?

Nominal voltage is the standardized voltage that a device or circuit is designed to operate at, while maximum voltage is the upper limit of the safe operating range. Exceeding the nominal voltage can also cause damage to electronic components.

3. How is maximum voltage determined?

Maximum voltage is typically determined by the voltage rating of the components in a circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. These components have a maximum voltage they can handle before they start to fail or malfunction.

4. Is there a minimum voltage for circuits?

Yes, there is a minimum voltage for circuits. This is the lowest amount of electrical potential energy needed for a circuit to function properly. If the voltage drops below this minimum, the circuit may not work or could potentially cause damage to components.

5. How do you measure maximum and minimum voltage in a circuit?

Maximum and minimum voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a tool that measures the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the circuit to get an accurate reading.