Maximum angle of deflection after collision

In summary, the discussion is about the impact between two spheres, A and B, with equal mass and the angles of motion before and after impact. Using the equation cotβ=((1-e)cotα)/2, where e is the coefficient of restitution, it is shown that the angle of deflection for sphere A can be expressed in terms of α and e. It is also mentioned that the maximum angle of deflection occurs when tan^2 α=(1-e)/2. However, there is some confusion about the possibility of a greater angle of deflection and the relationship between α and β which always add up to 90 degrees. Further clarification is requested.
osy044

Homework Statement

A smooth sphere A impinges obliquely on a stationary sphere B of equal mass. The directions of motion of sphere A before impact and after impact make angles α and β respectively with the line of centres at the instant of impact.

show that cotβ=((1-e)cotα)/2

where e is the coefficient of restitution.
Find in terms of α and e, the tangent of the angle through which the sphere A is deflected, and show that, if α is varied, this angle is the maximum when

tan^2 α=(1-e)/2

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum
coefficient of restitution law

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem with first part but the second part seems weird. I think its possible that tan^2 α<(1-e)/2. But anyway using this equation α + β always makes 90 degree. I am wondering if this makes the maximum angle of deflection. but i think they can be less than 90 to make much greater angle of deflection. Please explain it to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me
im crying

tt.tt

What is the maximum angle of deflection after collision?

The maximum angle of deflection after collision refers to the largest angle that an object will be deflected from its original path after a collision with another object. This angle depends on factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of approach of the colliding objects.

How is the maximum angle of deflection after collision calculated?

The maximum angle of deflection after collision can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These laws state that the total momentum and total energy of the system before and after the collision must be equal.

Does the shape of the objects affect the maximum angle of deflection after collision?

Yes, the shape of the objects can affect the maximum angle of deflection after collision. Objects with irregular or non-uniform shapes may experience different amounts of deflection compared to objects with regular shapes, even if they have the same mass and velocity.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the maximum angle of deflection after collision?

Understanding the maximum angle of deflection after collision is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can help engineers design safer structures and vehicles, physicists study the behavior of particles in collisions, and athletes improve their performance in sports like billiards and golf.

Can the maximum angle of deflection after collision be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the maximum angle of deflection after collision cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because a deflection of 90 degrees means that the object's path has been completely reversed, and any further deflection would cause the object to collide with itself, which is physically impossible.