1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum angle of deflection after collision

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A smooth sphere A impinges obliquely on a stationary sphere B of equal mass. The directions of motion of sphere A before impact and after impact make angles α and β respectively with the line of centres at the instant of impact.

show that cotβ=((1-e)cotα)/2

where e is the coefficient of restitution.
    Find in terms of α and e, the tangent of the angle through which the sphere A is deflected, and show that, if α is varied, this angle is the maximum when

tan^2 α=(1-e)/2

2. Relevant equations
    conservation of momentum
    coefficient of restitution law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no problem with first part but the second part seems weird. I think its possible that tan^2 α<(1-e)/2. But anyway using this equation α + β always makes 90 degree. im wondering if this makes the maximum angle of deflection. but i think they can be less than 90 to make much greater angle of deflection. Please explain it to me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2
    Please help me
    im crying

tt.tt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook