Projection at an angle - throwing stones

In summary, to find the distance and velocity of stones thrown from a height, the problem solver uses the following equation: v2=0,5gh*sin(α+β)*tan(α+β)/(cosα*cosβ).
Oomph!
Hello everyone. I have this problem:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known d

I throw stone from height h at an angle α, then at an angle β (so I know h, α, β).
I throw it with same velocity v. The stones fall in same distance d.
The question is: find the d (distance) and v (initial velocity).

Homework Equations

So, this is projection at an angle. Coordinates of velocity and coordinates of position:

vx=v0cosα
vy=v0
sinα-gt

x=tv0cosα
y
=h+tv0sinα-0,5gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

We can make the formula for the calculation of d:

d=(v2
sin2α+sqrt(v4*(sin2α)2+8hgv2*(cosα)2)/2g

I could solve this equation for two angles (distance is same) and find v:

(v2
sin2α+sqrt(v4*(sin2α)2+8hgv2*(cosα)2) =
(v2sin2β+sqrt(v4*(sin2β)2+8hgv2*(cosβ)2)

I have done it. However, the solution is not nice, really big formula. So, I think this is not good process. There must be something easier. I know the answer:

d=h*tan(α+β)
v2=
0,5gh*sin(α+β)*tan(α+β)/(cosα*cosβ)

My solution was really difficult and there was not any way how to make it easier.
So, could you show me how to make better solution?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation is messy, but you can solve your equation for v2. I would introduce a new parameter ##c=\frac{2gh}{v^2}##, that simplifies the equation to
$$\sin(\alpha)\cos(\alpha) + \cos(\alpha) \sqrt{\sin^2(\alpha) - c} = \sin(\beta)\cos(\beta) + \cos(\beta) \sqrt{\sin^2(\beta) - c}$$
Note that I get a different prefactor for c.

Consider the times it took to fall. You should get a quadratic equation in ##t## with two possible solutions.

Thank you for new parameter. Yes, it is better, but I think it is still difficult to solve it, if i want the solution in this form: v2=0,5gh*sin(α+β)*tan(α+β)/(cosα*cosβ).
However, if I use Wolfram Alpha, it works, I have the solution in this form. So, there is not a simplier way?

How can I consider the times? It is differrent in each fall.

Oomph! said:
So, there is not a simplier way?
I don't see one.
Oomph! said:
How can I consider the times? It is differrent in each fall.
I think @jeffbruma was commenting on an earlier step you did already (on the way to find d).

OK. Thank you very much! :)

1. What is the concept of "projection at an angle - throwing stones"?

The concept of projection at an angle - throwing stones refers to the motion of an object, in this case a stone, being thrown at an angle to the ground instead of directly upwards. This results in the stone following a curved path and landing at a distance from the starting point.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the distance the stone travels?

The angle of projection plays a crucial role in determining the distance the stone travels. The higher the angle of projection, the farther the stone will travel. However, if the angle is too high, the stone will not travel as far due to air resistance. The optimal angle for maximum distance is around 45 degrees.

3. What factors can affect the motion of a stone when it is projected at an angle?

The motion of a stone when it is projected at an angle can be affected by several factors. These include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity. The shape and weight of the stone can also impact its motion.

4. Can the height of the throwing point affect the distance the stone travels?

Yes, the height of the throwing point can affect the distance the stone travels. This is because the higher the throwing point, the longer the stone will stay in the air, allowing it to travel a greater distance. However, this also depends on the angle of projection and other factors mentioned previously.

5. How is the trajectory of a projectile at an angle calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile at an angle is calculated using mathematical equations based on the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations take into account the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion to determine its trajectory and landing point.