What is the Maximum Angle of Deflection in a Particle Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fedecolo
Messages
61
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A particle of mass ##M## and speed ##v_1## bumps a particle of mass ##m##, ##(M >m)##, at rest. Find the maximum angle of deflection of ##M## after the bump.

The Attempt at a Solution


I would like to solve this problem in the reference frame of the center of mass, because it seems that the counts are very little :D
By definition, if I call ##u_1,u_2## the velocities of the particles in the CdM reference frame, I have ##p_{CdM}=Mu_1 -mu_2=0##. Then I call ##u_1 ',u_2 '## the velocities after the bump (the quantity of motion of Cdm is 0 also after the bump). In the image there is a sketch of the situation, with ##\phi## the scattering angle. But now I'm struggling in relating the velocities ##u_1,u_2,u_1 ',u_2 '## with the end velocities of the particles ##v_1 ', v_2'## in the frame of the laboratory. My question is: how to sketch this four vectors?
 
Attachments
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 557
Physics news on Phys.org
In the CoM frame the masses can go in any direction. The problem asks for the frame where the larger mass is initially at rest.