Maximum area between two curves within a given interval

In summary, to find the maximum area between two vertical lines intersecting the area bounded by the curves y=3-x^2 and y=-2x, you can set up an integral for the maximum area as a function of a parameter "k" for the vertical lines. By taking the derivative of this function and setting it equal to zero, you can find the critical points and determine the maximum area. In this case, the maximum area is 32/3, and the lines should be placed at k = 1 and k = 2.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Consider the area bounded between the curves [itex]y=3-x^2[/itex] and [itex]y=-2x[/itex]. Suppose two vertical lines, one unit apart, intersect the given area. Where should these lines be placed so that they contain a maximum amount of the given area between them? What is this maximum area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I computed the area between the two curves using the integral
[itex]A = \int_{-1}^{3} (3 - x^2) - (-2x) dx[/itex]
[itex]A = \int_{-1}^{3} 3 + 2x - x^2 dx[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{32}{3}[/itex].

Then I set up another integral for the maximum area between two vertical lines [itex]y = k[/itex] and [itex]y = k+1[/itex]:
[itex]A(k) = \int_{k}^{k+1} 3 + 2x - x^2 dx[/itex], for [itex]k \in [-1, 3][/itex].

I'm not sure where to go from here, but something tells me there's some application of the first derivative test that I can put to use here. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to apply it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

Consider the area bounded between the curves [itex]y=3-x^2[/itex] and [itex]y=-2x[/itex]. Suppose two vertical lines, one unit apart, intersect the given area. Where should these lines be placed so that they contain a maximum amount of the given area between them? What is this maximum area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I computed the area between the two curves using the integral
[itex]A = \int_{-1}^{3} (3 - x^2) - (-2x) dx[/itex]
[itex]A = \int_{-1}^{3} 3 + 2x - x^2 dx[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{32}{3}[/itex].

Then I set up another integral for the maximum area between two vertical lines [itex]y = k[/itex] and [itex]y = k+1[/itex]:
[itex]A(k) = \int_{k}^{k+1} 3 + 2x - x^2 dx[/itex], for [itex]k \in [-1, 3][/itex].

I'm not sure where to go from here, but something tells me there's some application of the first derivative test that I can put to use here. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to apply it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You need to find critical points of A(k), so you need its derivative. You can either integrate to get the formula then differentiate that or use the Fundamental Theorem of calculus to get the derivative A'(k). Either way set the derivative equal to zero to look for a max.

First of all, be careful with how you define the domain for "k". You sure the upper limit is 3? Think that the lines are placed at k and k+1, so that the second line should also fall into the area bounded by both curves.

You didn't really need to calculate the area bounded by the curves, that was not asked.

You seem to know how to calculate the area between the curves and the vertical lines as a function of your parameter "k". That area, called A(k), is a function which you want to maximize, doesn't that sound familiar? You derive A(k) and find the roots of dA/dk = 0 for k inside the valid domain... that's it. Finally calculating the maximum area shouldn't be diffcult!

Ah, I see how to go about this now. I wasn't sure if the integral over [k, k+1] was a function of x or k.

To address the concerns brought up: I see why you say I should set up the restriction [itex]k \in [-1, 2][/itex] to account for [itex]k + 1[/itex]. At the time, I thought it wouldn't matter. My reasoning was that, with the way the integral is set up, any area beyond the line x = 3 will be negative, so the area on the interval [k, k + 1] in such a scenario cannot be the maximum area. (I hope that made sense.)

Finding out the area between the two curves was a previous question, and I thought I might have needed it for this part so I included it, too.

[itex] A'(k) = \frac{d}{dk}[ [3x + x^2 - \frac{1}{3}x^3]_{k}^{k+1}][/itex]
[itex] A'(k) = \frac{d}{dk}[ (3(k + 1) + (k + 1)^2 - \frac{1}{3}(k+1)^3) - (3k+ k^2 - \frac{1}{3}k^3)][/itex]
[itex] A'(k) = \frac{d}{dk}[ \frac{11}{3} + k - k^2 ][/itex]
[itex] A'(k) = 1 - 2k[/itex]

And from here I'll carry on with the derivative test. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the definition of "maximum area between two curves within a given interval?"

The maximum area between two curves within a given interval refers to the largest possible area that can be enclosed by two curves within a specific range on a graph. This concept is often used in calculus and optimization problems to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function.

2. How is the maximum area between two curves within a given interval calculated?

The maximum area between two curves within a given interval is calculated by finding the points where the two curves intersect, and then using integration to find the area between those points. This area is then compared to the areas between other pairs of intersecting points within the given interval to determine the maximum value.

3. Can the maximum area between two curves within a given interval be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum area between two curves within a given interval to be negative. This can occur when one of the curves is below the x-axis and the other is above the x-axis within the given interval, resulting in a negative area when integrated.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding the maximum area between two curves?

Finding the maximum area between two curves can be useful in a variety of fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, it can be used to determine the optimal dimensions of a structure to maximize its strength while minimizing material usage. In economics, it can be used to determine the most profitable production level for a company. In physics, it can be used to find the maximum amount of work that can be done by a system.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when calculating the maximum area between two curves within a given interval?

One limitation of calculating the maximum area between two curves within a given interval is that it assumes that the curves are continuous and smooth. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case. Additionally, this method assumes that the curves do not intersect more than twice within the given interval.