Find Maximum Elevation of Test Rocket

• Thread starter jenc305
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a rocket being fired straight up and then continuing to coast upward after the motor turns off. The question asks for the maximum elevation reached by the rocket. The correct answer is 487m, but the person is only getting 160m. The solution involves thinking of the problem in two separate parts - the rocket under acceleration and the rocket after the acceleration stops. The initial conditions of the second part are the final conditions of the first part. The person also has a question about horizontal projectile motion and why the distance between two packages increases as they fall out of a plane at a constant speed.
jenc305
This problem seems simple but I'm just not getting the correct answer, please help thank you.

A test rocket is fired straigt up from rest with a net accerleration of 20m/s^2. After 4 seconds the motor turns off, but the rocket continues to coast upward. What maximum elevation does the rocket reach?

This is what I get

X_0=0, a=20m/s^2, t=4 s

1/2(20m/s^2)(4 s)^2=160m (the correct answer is 487m :cry: )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think of it as 2 separate problems.

1. Rocket under the stated acceleration

2. Rocket after acceleration stops.

The final conditions of problem 1 (i.e. height and velocity) are the initial conditions for problem 2.

Problem 1
x=160m and v=80m/s

Problem 2
x_0=160m, v_0=80m/s, a=?
if it stopped accelerating, I would assume that the acceleration would be decreasing as the rocket coasted upward. Would this be correct?

So far, so good. You have the initial conditions for problem #2. Now, you need the equation of motion (in the vertical direction) for a projectile with initial conditions of distance and velocity. You must have been given such an equation or taught how to derive it using F=ma.

Last edited:
Thank you. This is what I got

160m-[0-(80m/s)^2/2(9.8m/s^2)]=486.5m

Also, I had another question about horizontal projectile motion.
Why does the distance of two packages steadily increase as they fall out of a plane going at constant speed.

I thought the distance would remain constant between the two packages as they fall when air friction is negligible. I can't make sense of it.

What is the purpose of finding the maximum elevation of a test rocket?

The purpose of finding the maximum elevation of a test rocket is to understand the capabilities and limitations of the rocket's design and propulsion system. This information is crucial for future rocket development and launch planning.

How is the maximum elevation of a test rocket determined?

The maximum elevation of a test rocket is determined through various methods such as tracking the rocket's trajectory using radar, GPS, or other tracking systems, as well as analyzing data from the rocket's sensors and onboard cameras.

What factors can affect the maximum elevation of a test rocket?

The maximum elevation of a test rocket can be affected by several factors including the rocket's design, propulsion system, atmospheric conditions, and external forces such as wind or air resistance. Launch location and trajectory angle can also play a role in determining the maximum elevation.

Why is it important to accurately measure the maximum elevation of a test rocket?

Accurately measuring the maximum elevation of a test rocket is crucial for ensuring the safety of the launch and understanding the performance of the rocket. It also provides valuable data for future rocket design and launch planning.

How does the maximum elevation of a test rocket compare to the maximum elevation of a real rocket launch?

The maximum elevation of a test rocket may not always be the same as that of a real rocket launch. This is because test rockets are usually smaller and have different propulsion systems and designs compared to real rockets. Additionally, real rocket launches may have more precise and advanced tracking and measurement systems.