Maximum Force of Compressed Air

In summary: Right, that is what I was intending.Now that we are on the same wavelength, is there any way by clever design I can increase the force?There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Every nozzle has its own characteristics which can affect the force output. Some common factors which could impact the force are the shape of the nozzle, the way the air is compressed, and the way the air is released.
bob012345
Gold Member
What's the maximum force that air from a typical garage air compressor tank, the kind that's used to inflate tires assuming the pressure is around 150 psi.? Can the force be changed by nozzle design? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
What's the maximum force that air from a typical garage air compressor tank, the kind that's used to inflate tires assuming the pressure is around 150 psi.? Can the force be changed by nozzle design? Thanks.
Nozzle? What nozzle? Could you explain in more detail what you are asking?

@bob012345, it sounds like you're talking about the force produced by a jet of air. Is that right? Are you interested in peak, or sustained force?

Likes russ_watters
jackwhirl said:
@bob012345, it sounds like you're talking about the force produced by a jet of air. Is that right? Are you interested in peak, or sustained force?
Sustained force releasing air at standard psi from the kinds of tanks that fill car tires.

russ_watters said:
Nozzle? What nozzle? Could you explain in more detail what you are asking?
The air nozzle you would normally insert into your tire valve. How much force can one get from that?

bob012345 said:
Sustained force releasing air at standard psi from the kinds of tanks that fill car tires.

bob012345 said:
The air nozzle you would normally insert into your tire valve. How much force can one get from that?
Again, do you mean the force from the jet of air from an open nozzle? The nozzle you attach to your tire valve only allows air to flow when the valve is attached to the tire valve...

Anyway, if that's what you mean though, it is probably something you can estimate by feel; a few pounds of force. A first swag would be to multiply the pressure (maybe 100 psi) by the area (maybe a tenth or 20th of a square inch), but the flow would probably be choked and supersonic, so it would end up being somewhat less.

Likes bob012345
bob012345 said:
There are two answers to this, depending on what you mean:

From context it sounds like you're talking about a jet of air, in which case you should read about rocket engine nozzles, because the shape of the nozzle most definitely does impact the force output.

The other is the idea that you could use this air to pressurize a bladder of some sort, to lift a large load. (Think something like an air mattress.) In this situation, the force you could apply would be equal to the surface area times the pressure. Thus, 60 inches * 80 inches * 150 pounds per square inch gives you 720,000 pounds.

There's a really big difference between these scenarios. That's why were asking you what you're trying to accomplish. We don't fully understand your question.

Likes Asymptotic and bob012345
jackwhirl said:
There are two answers to this, depending on what you mean:

From context it sounds like you're talking about a jet of air, in which case you should read about rocket engine nozzles, because the shape of the nozzle most definitely does impact the force output.

The other is the idea that you could use this air to pressurize a bladder of some sort, to lift a large load. (Think something like an air mattress.) In this situation, the force you could apply would be equal to the surface area times the pressure. Thus, 60 inches * 80 inches * 150 pounds per square inch gives you 720,000 pounds.

There's a really big difference between these scenarios. That's why were asking you what you're trying to accomplish. We don't fully understand your question.
Thanks. It's more the first case, letting the compressed air expand through a nozzle or device like a rocket. Remember when we were kids and we would take a garden hose with water flowing and by constructing the flow it had a lot more force and the hose would lift itself up. Like a water bottle rocket. I want to play with the way compressed air is released to maximize the force.

russ_watters said:
Again, do you mean the force from the jet of air from an open nozzle? The nozzle you attach to your tire valve only allows air to flow when the valve is attached to the tire valve...

Anyway, if that's what you mean though, it is probably something you can estimate by feel; a few pounds of force. A first swag would be to multiply the pressure (maybe 100 psi) by the area (maybe a tenth or 20th of a square inch), but the flow would probably be choked and supersonic, so it would end up being somewhat less.
Thanks. By your estimate, I'd get 5-10 pounds.

bob012345 said:
Thanks. By your estimate, I'd get 5-10 pounds.
Right, that is what I was intending.

Likes bob012345
Now that we are on the same wavelength, is there any way by clever design I can increase that force for the same air flow? Thanks.

bob012345 said:
Now that we are on the same wavelength, is there any way by clever design I can increase that force for the same air flow? Thanks.
A nozzle that expands the flow to ambient pressure will be most efficient. Read that rocket nozzle link I placed above.

Likes bob012345 and russ_watters
bob012345 said:
Right, what @jackwhirl said: rockets generate force by giving the reaction mass momentum, so the faster the exit velocity the greater the force. I bet you could get several times the force with a well designed nozzle vs a poor one. But I also expect my estimate is already generous.

Likes jackwhirl and bob012345
russ_watters said:
Right, what @jackwhirl said: rockets generate force by giving the reaction mass momentum, so the faster the exit velocity the greater the force. I bet you could get several times the force with a well designed nozzle vs a poor one. But I also expect my estimate is already generous.
Okay, thanks.

jackwhirl said:
A nozzle that expands the flow to ambient pressure will be most efficient. Read that rocket nozzle link I placed above.
Thanks, I will.

bob012345 said:
What's the maximum force that air from a typical garage air compressor tank, the kind that's used to inflate tires assuming the pressure is around 150 psi.? Can the force be changed by nozzle design?
Just to get empirical here, grab a kitchen platform scale and aim the air stream at it.
p.s. will vary with distance

Likes bob012345
Tom.G said:
Just to get empirical here, grab a kitchen platform scale and aim the air stream at it.
p.s. will vary with distance
Thanks. Not a bad idea. That's basically what Sir Christopher Cockerell did when he invented the modern hovercraft. Big things can come from little experiments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Cockerell

Depending on the length of time you need the force for, you may wish to explore alternative avenues.

Are you referring to a compressor tank, with an air reservoir, or a compact tyre inflator pump?

If you are using the latter, storing the air in a reservoir will allow you to produce a greater force for a short period of time. for example, a pump might only put out a small amount of force, but once my potato gun I had as a kid was pumped up to 180psi, it could fire a chunk of potato half a kilometre (approx.).

If you are looking to achieve some sort of thrust, something like a leaf blower will likely be able to deliver a higher volume of air per second than a compressor. if you were to fit a nozzle to a leaf blower, you'll probably get more thrust than from a compressor, and it will also be lighter due to the lack of a reservoir.

Are you trying to move objects with the compressed air, or move the compressor itself? (IE are you making the launcher or the rocket?)

some bloke said:
Depending on the length of time you need the force for, you may wish to explore alternative avenues.

Are you referring to a compressor tank, with an air reservoir, or a compact tyre inflator pump?

If you are using the latter, storing the air in a reservoir will allow you to produce a greater force for a short period of time. for example, a pump might only put out a small amount of force, but once my potato gun I had as a kid was pumped up to 180psi, it could fire a chunk of potato half a kilometre (approx.).

If you are looking to achieve some sort of thrust, something like a leaf blower will likely be able to deliver a higher volume of air per second than a compressor. if you were to fit a nozzle to a leaf blower, you'll probably get more thrust than from a compressor, and it will also be lighter due to the lack of a reservoir.

Are you trying to move objects with the compressed air, or move the compressor itself? (IE are you making the launcher or the rocket?)
Ultimately, I want to use a thin layer of fast moving air to contain a volume of air at higher pressure. That's what early hovercraft did but I want to apply it to a small personal device rather than a large scale multi-ton machine. The compressed air is only for the boundary layer. I hope to lift something like 50 pounds per square foot but only a few inches off the ground.

bob012345 said:
Ultimately, I want to use a thin layer of fast moving air to contain a volume of air at higher pressure. That's what early hovercraft did but I want to apply it to a small personal device rather than a large scale multi-ton machine. The compressed air is only for the boundary layer. I hope to lift something like 50 pounds per square foot but only a few inches off the ground.
This appears to me to be completely different from your original question. Is that what you intended or were you thinking one informs to the other or...?

russ_watters said:
This appears to me to be completely different from your original question. Is that what you intended or were you thinking one informs to the other or...?
One informs the other but I was just answering some bloke. We can stick to the original question on this thread which was basically answered as 5-10 pounds unless someone can suggest how to increase that range. Thanks.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is the maximum force of compressed air?

The maximum force of compressed air is dependent on several factors such as the pressure of the air, the size of the container, and the type of compressor used. Generally, compressed air can have a maximum force of up to 150 psi (pounds per square inch).

2. How is the maximum force of compressed air calculated?

The maximum force of compressed air can be calculated using the formula: Force = Pressure x Area. This means that the force is directly proportional to the pressure and the area of the container. The larger the pressure and the area, the greater the maximum force of compressed air.

3. What are the applications of compressed air in terms of maximum force?

Compressed air is commonly used in pneumatic systems for various applications such as powering tools, operating machinery, and even in transportation systems. The maximum force of compressed air makes it ideal for heavy-duty tasks that require a strong and consistent force.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with compressed air at maximum force?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when working with compressed air at maximum force. It is important to always wear proper protective gear such as goggles and earplugs. Additionally, it is crucial to properly maintain and inspect all equipment to prevent any accidents or malfunctions.

5. Can the maximum force of compressed air be increased?

Yes, the maximum force of compressed air can be increased by using a higher pressure or a larger container. However, it is important to note that increasing the force beyond the recommended limits can be dangerous and may cause damage to the equipment or injury to individuals. It is important to always follow manufacturer's guidelines and safety precautions when using compressed air at maximum force.