Using compressed air through a venturi pump to suck oil?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a venturi pump to remove floating oil from a tank. The client is looking for a low-cost solution to remove "tramp" oil from their CNC machine coolant tanks. The discussion also touches on the type of coolant and oil being used, as well as potential challenges and alternative methods for oil removal. It is mentioned that the venturi will produce a hydroxide foam or sludge and that the oil will mix with air inside to form a mist. The conversation suggests using a mist eliminator to address this issue.
kunalv
Hello, was wondering if I could pass compressed air through a venturi pump to pull floating oil from a tank? If yes, how do I control the eventual mixing of oil with the air from the outlet end?

The requirement is given to me by one of my clients who wants an easy, and low-cost solution to remove 'tramp' oil from their CNC machine coolant tanks. I've drawn a quick sketch to explain the application. Can this work? I am assuming the oil will mix with the air inside the venturi to form a kind of mist?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-11 at 16.05.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-11 at 16.05.20.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 111
Engineering news on Phys.org
I expect the venturi will produce a hydroxide foam or sludge.

What type of coolant is used?
What is the source and type of oil you want to remove?

Baluncore said:
I expect the venturi will produce a hydroxide foam or sludge.

What type of coolant is used?
What is the source and type of oil you want to remove?
Type of coolant : water-soluble cutting oils.

Source & Type of Oil : Tramp oil is a term that describes any unwanted hydrocarbon-based substance that contaminates machine coolant. This can be hydraulic oils from slideways in the machine or any other sources within the machine.

kunalv said:
Welcome!
In that case, why the oil and water separation shown in the tank of your diagram?
Why not to use the built-in coolant pump of the machines?
The height at which you can lift with a ventury is limited.

kunalv said:
Source & Type of Oil : Tramp oil is a term that describes any unwanted hydrocarbon-based substance that contaminates machine coolant. This can be hydraulic oils from slideways in the machine or any other sources within the machine.
The ratio of water to soluble oil will be about 20:1. That forms a milky emulsion with a high density, that will wet and cool the cutter, and the surface of the material being cut. Slideway oil and some hydraulic oils are hydrophobic, with a lower density than water, so they float on the surface of the water based cutting fluid. I do wonder why removal of the tramp oil is necessary, so long as it remains separated on the surface, and the cutting fluid is drawn from below.

I have removed oil films from water by dropping a paper kitchen towel onto the surface. The oil is absorbed into the paper as the paper sinks into the surface, but floats on the water. Then I slide off the paper towel and dispose of it. For thicker oil I have thrown fine sawdust onto the surface, waited for a few minutes, then used a mesh strainer to remove the sawdust floating just below the surface with the attached oil.

I expect a surface skimmer of some type will be required to remove the surface oil film.
There are a couple of reasons why I would avoid using a pump to remove the surface oil.
Firstly; the pH of cutting fluid will probably be above 9. Energetic mixing of cutting fluid with the hydrophobic oil may produce hydroxides or soap in that environment.
Secondly; the oil will need to be localised before it is lifted. That might be done by floating an inverted funnel in the surface of the fluid. Tramp oil would rise, and move towards the rising neck of the funnel, from where it can be extracted.

Likes Lnewqban
kunalv said:
I am assuming the oil will mix with the air inside the venturi to form a kind of mist?
This will definitely happen. If you still want to explore the venturi approach, search mist eliminator for ways to deal with the mist.

1. How does a venturi pump work to suck oil?

A venturi pump works by using compressed air to create a vacuum that pulls the oil through a narrow tube, known as the venturi, and into a larger chamber. As the air flows through the venturi, it speeds up and creates a low-pressure area, which sucks the oil into the pump.

2. What are the benefits of using compressed air through a venturi pump to suck oil?

Using compressed air through a venturi pump is a cost-effective and efficient way to extract oil. It requires minimal maintenance and has a low risk of contamination. Additionally, it can be used in remote locations where electricity may not be readily available.

3. What types of oil can be extracted using a venturi pump?

A venturi pump can be used to extract a variety of oils, including crude oil, vegetable oil, and mineral oil. It can also be used to remove oil from water, such as in oil spill clean-up operations.

4. How much oil can a venturi pump extract?

The amount of oil a venturi pump can extract depends on the size and power of the pump. However, these pumps are capable of extracting large volumes of oil in a relatively short amount of time.

5. Is using compressed air through a venturi pump safe for the environment?

Yes, using compressed air through a venturi pump is a safe and environmentally friendly method of extracting oil. It does not require any harmful chemicals or produce harmful emissions. Additionally, any oil extracted can be properly disposed of or recycled.