Maximum force that we can exert without breaking the rope?

In summary, the question is about determining the maximum force that can be exerted on a block with a weight of 5N attached to a rope that can resist 20N without breaking. The relevant equation is Fnet (in y) = ma = F (applied force) - W (weight), and the maximum force would be 25N.
NeoPhoenix

Homework Statement

If we want to pull a block with a weight of 5N attached to a rope that is just able to resist 20N. What is the maximum force that we can exert without breaking the rope? xD

Homework Equations

Fnet (in y) = ma = F (applied force) - W (weight)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I think is that: if the rope will just resist 20, and we already know that the weight of the block is 5N, then we should apply a 15N force right ?

Physics news on Phys.org

You want the net force to be less than or equal to 20N. Knowing W=5N, what is the applied force you should apply?

actually, this is a problem that I had on a test some days ago...I think that was the question in fact. What force I should apply ?...

NeoPhoenix said:
actually, this is a problem that I had on a test some days ago...I think that was the question in fact. What force I should apply ?...

The maximum net force is 20N, using your relevant equation, what would the applied force?

25n ?

NeoPhoenix said:
25n ?

That seems correct.

thanks xD

1. What factors affect the maximum force that can be exerted without breaking a rope?

The maximum force that can be exerted without breaking a rope is affected by several factors such as the material and thickness of the rope, its age and condition, the type of knot used, and the angle at which the force is applied.

2. How does the material of the rope affect its maximum force capacity?

The material of the rope plays a crucial role in determining its maximum force capacity. Materials with higher tensile strength, such as steel or nylon, can withstand greater forces without breaking compared to weaker materials like cotton or hemp.

3. Can the maximum force capacity of a rope be increased?

Yes, the maximum force capacity of a rope can be increased by using a thicker or stronger rope, choosing a stronger type of knot, or reducing the angle at which the force is applied. Regular maintenance and proper storage can also help maintain the rope's maximum force capacity over time.

4. What happens if the maximum force is exceeded?

If the maximum force is exceeded, the rope is likely to break. This can potentially cause injury to anyone nearby and damage to any attached objects. It is important to always stay within the safe maximum force limit to avoid any accidents.

5. How can the maximum force that can be exerted without breaking a rope be measured?

The maximum force that can be exerted without breaking a rope can be measured using a tension meter or a dynamometer. These devices can accurately measure the tension and force applied to a rope, allowing for a safe and precise determination of the maximum force capacity.