Maximum precision of deterministic measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical limit to obtaining information about a particle's position and velocity in an idealized classical situation where particles obey Newtonian mechanics and can only be measured using other hard, spherical particles. The maximum amount of bits that can accurately describe the particle using this method is limited due to the disturbance caused by the act of measurement, similar to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.
Runner 1
Okay, I tend to have some weird thoughts, so bear with my odd question here.

Suppose you have a collection of particles that obey Newtonian mechanics. For simplification, all particles are identical and can be assumed to be hard spheres that collide elastically. Each particle has a position and a velocity. Now suppose we want to measure the position and velocity of a particular particle. By measurement, I mean a series of bits indicating its position, and a series of bits indicating its velocity.

The only way we can obtain information about that particle is using other hard, spherical particles. With enough types of collisions between the various particles (the "experiment" in essence), we eventually get a digital readout of both values of interest.

Now, intuitively it seems like there must be a theoretical limit to the amount of information we can get about the particle. Has someone done a calculation that determines what this is? In other words, what is the maximum amount of bits we can get that accurately describes the particle using other particles?

If you need more clarification about what I'm asking, just let me know (because I am not that great at conveying what I mean to others).

(Note this has nothing to do with HUP or quantum mechanics -- it's just an idealized classical situation.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Question is underspecified ... how are you using the spheres to collect the information?

However - the type of calculation you want has been done in the QM case ... the classical one will differ in the value of h. You have a similar problem to the Heisenberg uncertainty - you cannot know position and momentum, simutaniously, to arbitrary precision, even in this 100% classical system, because the act of measurement (in this case, hurling a sphere at the sphere you want to measure) disturbs the system.

I suppose, in principle, you should be able to rig something where repeated measurements could give better precision ... which is why you need to specify the system you have in mind in more detail.

Runner 1 said:
Okay, I tend to have some weird thoughts, so bear with my odd question here.

Suppose you have a collection of particles that obey Newtonian mechanics. For simplification, all particles are identical and can be assumed to be hard spheres that collide elastically. Each particle has a position and a velocity. Now suppose we want to measure the position and velocity of a particular particle. By measurement, I mean a series of bits indicating its position, and a series of bits indicating its velocity.

The only way we can obtain information about that particle is using other hard, spherical particles. With enough types of collisions between the various particles (the "experiment" in essence), we eventually get a digital readout of both values of interest.

Now, intuitively it seems like there must be a theoretical limit to the amount of information we can get about the particle. Has someone done a calculation that determines what this is? In other words, what is the maximum amount of bits we can get that accurately describes the particle using other particles?

If you need more clarification about what I'm asking, just let me know (because I am not that great at conveying what I mean to others).

(Note this has nothing to do with HUP or quantum mechanics -- it's just an idealized classical situation.)
On the contrary, it has everything to do with HUP. It is the basic argument behind the uncertainty principle.

1. What is the maximum precision of deterministic measurements?

The maximum precision of deterministic measurements refers to the highest level of accuracy that can be achieved in a measurement. It is the smallest possible unit of measurement that can be detected and recorded by a scientific instrument.

2. How is the maximum precision of deterministic measurements determined?

The maximum precision of deterministic measurements is determined by the capabilities of the measuring instrument and the limitations of the physical phenomenon being measured. It is also affected by external factors such as environmental conditions and human error.

3. Why is the maximum precision of deterministic measurements important?

The maximum precision of deterministic measurements is important because it allows scientists to collect accurate and reliable data, which is essential for making precise and meaningful conclusions about their research. It also helps to improve the overall understanding of the physical world.

4. Can the maximum precision of deterministic measurements be improved?

Yes, the maximum precision of deterministic measurements can be improved through advancements in technology and the development of more sophisticated measuring instruments. It can also be improved by minimizing external factors that can affect the accuracy of measurements.

5. Is there a limit to the maximum precision of deterministic measurements?

Currently, there is no known limit to the maximum precision of deterministic measurements, as advancements in technology and scientific understanding continue to push the boundaries of measurement accuracy. However, there may be fundamental limitations based on the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.