Maximum speed before Rope Breaks

In summary, the maximum uniform speed that the object can be swung at before the rope breaks depends on the point at which the tension is the greatest, which is at the bottom of the vertical plane. Therefore, the bottom should be checked to ensure that the rope can withstand the maximum tension.
proness26

Homework Statement

A mass of m is placed on the end of a rope of length l and swung in a vertical plane. The rope can withstand a maximum tension of P N(Newtons), after which it breaks. What is the maximum uniform speed that the object can be swung at, before the rope breaks?

Homework Equations

T-Fg=m(V^2/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

At which point on the vertical plane would I check to get maximum uniform speed?
Would I check the top where both Fg and T will be accelerating the object towards the center of the circle? Or would I check the bottom where T and Fg will be acting in opposite directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

proness26 said:

Homework Statement

A mass of m is placed on the end of a rope of length l and swung in a vertical plane. The rope can withstand a maximum tension of P N(Newtons), after which it breaks. What is the maximum uniform speed that the object can be swung at, before the rope breaks?

Homework Equations

T-Fg=m(V^2/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

At which point on the vertical plane would I check to get maximum uniform speed?
Would I check the top where both Fg and T will be accelerating the object towards the center of the circle? Or would I check the bottom where T and Fg will be acting in opposite directions?

Well, at which of these two situations would the tension be larger? The rope must not break at any point in the cycle, which means it must be able to withstand the largest tensile force that it will be subjected to.

Ohh ok I got it then. Bottom. Seems like a silly question now that I look at it haha

What is the maximum speed before a rope breaks?

The maximum speed before a rope breaks depends on several factors such as the type and quality of the rope, the weight it is supporting, and the environmental conditions. Generally, most ropes are designed to withstand a maximum speed of 8-10 meters per second.

What happens if the maximum speed is exceeded?

If the maximum speed is exceeded, the rope may snap or break, causing potential injury or damage. Exceeding the maximum speed can also put unnecessary strain on the rope, causing it to wear down faster and potentially fail in the future.

How can I determine the maximum speed for a specific rope?

You can determine the maximum speed for a specific rope by checking the manufacturer's specifications or consulting with a professional who is familiar with the type of rope you are using. It is important to follow the recommended maximum speed to ensure the safety and longevity of the rope.

What factors affect the maximum speed of a rope?

The maximum speed of a rope can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the rope, the weight it is supporting, the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity), and any wear and tear it may have. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain ropes to ensure they can safely withstand their maximum speed.

Can the maximum speed of a rope be increased?

In some cases, it may be possible to increase the maximum speed of a rope by using a higher quality or thicker rope. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the rope is suitable for the intended purpose and that all safety measures are in place.