1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum speed before Rope Breaks

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of m is placed on the end of a rope of length l and swung in a vertical plane. The rope can withstand a maximum tension of P N(newtons), after which it breaks. What is the maximum uniform speed that the object can be swung at, before the rope breaks?

2. Relevant equations

T-Fg=m(V^2/R)

3. The attempt at a solution

At which point on the vertical plane would I check to get maximum uniform speed?
    Would I check the top where both Fg and T will be accelerating the object towards the center of the circle? Or would I check the bottom where T and Fg will be acting in opposite directions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Well, at which of these two situations would the tension be larger? The rope must not break at any point in the cycle, which means it must be able to withstand the largest tensile force that it will be subjected to.

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    Ohh ok I got it then. Bottom. Seems like a silly question now that I look at it haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook