1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum value for a analytic function

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    Hi. I need someone to look at my attempt at a solution, and guide me towards the correct way to solving this. Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the maximum value of [ilatex]|3z^2 - 1|[/ilatex] in the closed disk [ilatex]|z| \leq 1[/ilatex] in the complex plane. For what values of z does the maximum occur?

The attempt at a solution
    There is a theorem that says that all maximum values of an analytic function in a disc occurs at the bound, so the max values will be on some point on the circle [ilatex]|z|=1[/ilatex]. We can easily see that the maximizing points are [ilatex]z = \pm i[/ilatex], and in those cases we get [ilatex]|3(i)^2 - 1| = |-3-1| = |-4| = 4[/ilatex].

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2
    It's the modulus that attains the maximum at the boundary, not the function; after all, C isn't ordered, so there is no extreme points for complex valued functions.

Regarding the solution, it's correct, but I think it needs more justification; try to interpret 3z^2 - 1 geometrically, when z is restricted to the unit circle.

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    It might be helpful to write [tex]z=e^{i\phi}[/tex] on the unit circle...

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    You might do that, and compute the extreme points (it's not asked but the maximum modulus principle has a counterpart: the minimum modulus principle). But notice that the image of z^2, when z is in the unit circle is a also the unit circle (run over twice); multiplication by 3 will result in a circle with that radius, and -1 is a translation. You should be able to represent graphically the image of 3z^2 - 1, when z is in S1; from that, it's very easy to see where the modulus is maximized (and minimized).

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    Thanks for all your answers.
    I am still not sure how to show mathematically how +/- i will maximize the function.

I tried doing a geometrical approach with drawing a circle with radius 3 and center in -1, but I can't see how it becomes obvious where it is maximized... I also failed to see how looking at the exponential form would help. Maybe I'm still locked in Holiday-mode, but even after all your hints and suggestions I'm still drawing a blank on this one. :)

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6
    If you have a circle with radius 3 and centre at -1, what is the point that is farthest from the origin? Will it not be the point with [tex]\theta = \pm\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]?

8. Dec 28, 2009 #7
    Ah, of course! Thanks for explaining this to me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook