Maximum velocity and acceleration of a 440.2 Hz tuning fork prong in SHM

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
shorti2406
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Q: The prong of a tuning fork moves back and forth when it is set into vibration. The distance the prong moves between its extreme positions is 2.29 mm. If the frequency of the tuning fork is 440.2 Hz, what are the maximum velocity and the maximum acceleration of the prong? Assume SHM.


I was just hoping somebody could tell me if I did this problem correctly :smile:

For Vmax I have : (2л) x (440.2Hz) x (0.0029cm) = 8.02 m/s

For amax I have : [(2л x 440.2Hz)^2] x (0.0029cm) = 22185 m/s2


I would appreciate any input! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shorti2406 said:
Q: The prong of a tuning fork moves back and forth when it is set into vibration. The distance the prong moves between its extreme positions is 2.29 mm. If the frequency of the tuning fork is 440.2 Hz, what are the maximum velocity and the maximum acceleration of the prong? Assume SHM.


I was just hoping somebody could tell me if I did this problem correctly :smile:

For Vmax I have : (2л) x (440.2Hz) x (0.0029cm) = 8.02 m/s

For amax I have : [(2л x 440.2Hz)^2] x (0.0029cm) = 22185 m/s2


I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

Not quite- What is the amplitude of the motion?

Plus- you will need to be a lot more careful with the units
 
Last edited:
Oh, okay... so then:

Vmax : (2л) x (440.2Hz) x (0.00229m) = 6.33 m/s

amax : [(2л x 440.2Hz)^2] x (0.00229m) = 17518 m/s2

Does that look about right? Or am I still way off?
 
Well, I think I'm just stuck then. Can anybody give me a clue as to what the correct amplitude shoudl be? I would really appreciate it!
 
shorti2406 said:
Well, I think I'm just stuck then. Can anybody give me a clue as to what the correct amplitude shoudl be? I would really appreciate it!
You'll smack yourself in the head when you realize it:
The distance the prong moves between its extreme positions is 2.29 mm.

Remember that amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, not the distance between the extreme positions.
 
You're right. I have no idea why I didn't realize that! Thank you so much for you help.